#3DBenchy, the 3D Print Benchmark model

sabotagesabotage Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
Anyone printed one of these yet on other printers?

@Andrew_3Dfacture, would be great if you guys could post the results of the Draken printing this model (tagged with #3DBenchy on your G+ account), and let us know how it fairs against their documented tolerances.

Here's a brief description about what it is from their website:

#3DBenchy is a 3D model specifically designed for testing and benchmarking 3D printers. It is a small recognizable object that you can download for freemake and share.
Shane...
imageBacker(Ultimate Package - delivered on July 1, 2015)

Comments

• TDMeeksTDMeeks Member, Backers
    When I read your post, I decided to see how my current printer would handle 3DBenchy given that no supports should be used.  From experience, I have few, if any, doubts about measurement fidelity.  But, that roof looks challenging.  My printer is reporting it will be done in 1 hour and 27 minutes.

I agree that it would be VERY interesting to see any of the SLA printers handle this without any supports.  The way SLA handles prints vs. FDM is different enough to make for some interesting outcomes.  I found this video where someone printed in both formats (Form1+ in SLA) and these images that show the Form1+ generated supports.  To be fair to the Form1, clear is my least favorite material for evaluating SLA.

I'll post a picture when it's done. 

Great idea!
    Here is an image of the 3DBenchy printed on a 3rd Gen Cube printer. 

I hope this image shows up.  It's the first time I've tried to load an image on these forums.  Otherwise use the link above to see it.

I increased the contrast to accentuate flaws.  While the STL looks smooth there are some artifacts that showed up when printed..  The right side is perfectly smooth; but, there is a ridge along the left side (#2).  #3 and $4 have to do with reversinging the travel of the printjet.  I have no idea what caused #1 but it happens under both portholes.

FDM images are oriented directly on the print plate.  But, I believe that an SLA printer would want a little space between the print plate and the object using supports to anchor the piece.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Here are my prints, direct to the bed, 50um X/Y, 50um layer height.

Until my Z-wobble issues are dealt with, all my prints look like this. X(
    Ron
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    The surface finish looks good, but that wobble is a show-stopper. How do the dimensions of the print compare to the original reference 3d model?
    I hadn't fully calibrated this mode, so I am not 1:1 on dimensions right now. 

With the projector zoom set to the smallest value, I think my error in dimensions using non-precise means is about 5-10% right now.

Yeah, the wobble really sucks. I printed a yellow rook and from casual glance, you cannot see the wobble. But the block molding on the outer wall does a pretty good job of masking the wobble. I will post the yellow rook later today.

Ron
  • satoersatoer Member, Backers
    Interesting benchmark. I was wondering if my current FDM (Felix 3D printer with e3D hot end) could also handle 50 um layer height:
    imageYes it could.
    Extreme macro:
    I must say, the photos are much less forgiving than the real object. A slower printing speed also would resolved the ghosting.
  • sabotagesabotage Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    rkundla said:

Here are my prints, direct to the bed, 50um X/Y, 50um layer height.

@rkundla, that was printed w/out supports, correct?  I'm going to try one of these tonight and see what I get.
    Shane...
    OK, here is my print from tonight.  50um XYZ, no supports, but had CW add a raft (which broke when removing from the build plate, and I did a really crappy job of removing the rest):

Shane...
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    @sabotage What Z-height, resin and exposure time did you use ? :)
    Z height was 50um, G+ resin, not sure on the exposures, whatever CW set as defaults from the Draken profiles
    Shane...
    @sabotage Are the dimensions fine too? Because with the black resin it has a significant light bleed... But I heart red is the colour which has the least light bleed... Maybe the default settings are only for red resin... since 3DFacture also printed a lot with red ;)!
    edited September 2015
    (while it has a lower pigment concentration) :
    G+2mL2mL1.5mL1mL1.5mL2mL
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    Kind of a silly question... But where can I find to default Draken profile?
    edited September 2015
    Shane, did you use the anti-aliasing feature in CW? I wonder if that could help with some of the noticable layer lines?
    Ron
    Hmm, yeah, I may have... I clicked a few things and it was late, so I'd have to look into the .cws file to see but it's on another system at home right now.
    Shane...
    With the draken profiles the anti alaising is enabled by default on 1.5 ;) So I guess if tou didn't touch it that it should be on ;/ I don't know what the number 1.5 does for the anti alaising feature tough...
    @rkundla, after looking at the .gcode file, yes, Anti-Aliasing = true, and Anti Aliasing Value = 1.5.

@knibor, here's another shot of the model with a US Quarter on deck for scale:

Shane...
    @shane Could you check of roof is wobbly as mine prints in the other thread? And was the roof printed without support? (sorry for al the questions)
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by wobbly... but the inside of the top/roof looks smooth and no, there were no supports printed.
    Shane...
    Did you print the boat directly to the build plate or did you use supports to stand it off slightly?

@knibor if you print it with the bottom of the boat to the plate, you do not need supports on any of the features since they are all pretty much connected ultimately to the plate - no floating features...
    Ron
    I did use a raft, but no supports... after the fact, I realized I didn't need to use the raft, and doing so means I lost the text detail on the bottom of the boat.
    Shane...
    Just started a 2nd print of the 3DBenchy model at 6:47pm PST... Should be done in about 2.5 hours.

On this print I made the following changes:
    • Removed the raft (printing direct on the build platform)
    • Adjusted the build size in CW to compensate for the differences between expected and actual dimensions
    • Took out the gcode to open/close the shutter on every slice.  Still opens in the header and closes in the footer
    • Bumped the anti-aliasing value up from 1.5 to 3
    The other settings that are the same as last time are:
    • Using MakerJuice G+ Red
    • Projector in position 3
    • XY Resolution at 50µm
    • Z Layer height at 50µm
    • 4 base layers w/ 22s cure time
    • 6.5s cure time for all other layers
    • Sliced out to 960 layers
    Did I miss anything else helpful to know?
    Shane...
    well, that was a bust :(

It looked good for the first ~100 layers, so I went to some other stuff.  When I cam back, it was clear it had detached from the build platform...

I do expect this should be printable w/out a raft, but... maybe I need to do a light sanding on the build plate like @rkundla has done.  Anyway, not going to happen tonight, too late to start another one for me... gotta wake up early for the day job :P
    Shane...
    I tried without raft too but failed... I'm doubting to sand paper my platform too... @rkundla how is the bottom finish now? Very rough?

I scaled down my 3Dbenchy very much too ;)! I lost the words on the back of the boat and the roof doesn't make a sharp edge... But overall it came out nice :
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    edited October 2015
    Any print I have done where the top of the item is larger or heavier than the bottom will more than likely pull off the plate during the build. The only way to prevent it is to spread out the material on the plate using a raft or support base. My slow peel gcode helped somewhat, but it is still not the best. You almost need a stepper motor doing a smooth peel operation (like the Moonray printer) than the harsh servo motor movement.

I haven't had the chance to try to spend time integrating that smooth servo library into the STM32 build. The original library is for the original CPU on the Pi, so all of the low level routines don't match. I can't seem to find enough info online, probably because I am missing the key buzzwords, to do the translation. :-(
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    Has anyone tried printing this without the peel servo.  Just letting the Z axis do all the peeling like the original draken design.  Curious if you can get a more gentle peeling motion that way so you can print without the raft.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.