Giant rook print - SUCCESS!

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
Had some success last night, printing a rook, needed a larger base since the hollow ring just doesn't seem to resist the peel pressure once it kicks into the solid portion of the rook.

Crud, can't share Google+ photos directly, here are some links:

Trying a ring now, strike while the iron is hot so to speak. ;)

Ron

Comments

• ValterValter Member, Backers
    Hey! Good print. Congratulations.
  • robertbl22robertbl22 Member
    edited July 2015
    The corners and edges look rounded. I'm referring mostly to the 'merlons' that the archers shoot between. Do you know if that is from the model or the printer?

Also, are the fine detail "rungs" on the DNA ladder inside missing because the printer left them off?
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    The STL file didn't have interconnections on the helix inside the tower from what I could see.

The merlons at the top are shaped more like trapezoids and there is a slight rounding of the corners. I am still pretty impressed with how it turned out.
    Ron
  • @rkundla thanks for the feedback on this and your ring. Do you think that precisely focusing the projector plays a major role in the detail sharpness?
    @robertbl22 - Most definitely. If the focus is off, fine detail will blur out and get 'soft'. I took a bubble level and noticed that my projector was not level from front to back. I dialed back the adjustment screw to bring the projector into alignment. I started a print before I left for work, so we'll see what kind of impact that has (other than the Z wobble).
    Ron
    I printed another rook last night, this time in yellow. When I checked it this morning it printed fine so I will take some photos tonight.

Ron