Jewelry Ring Print - sorta success

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
I did manage to get a ring to print finally, but the quality is a little iffy.

Now, some background. My printer is in my dining room on the carpeted floor. I am using the default peel values from the 50 micron profile.

As you can see from the photos, there appears to be an issue with layer alignment. I am getting wavy vertical structures, but they are not at a per layer wavy, they go for many layers weaving back and forth. Almost like the image is being shifted a few pixels left and right over time.

First thought was the printer is moving around during printing, but this periodic motion seems unusual. Maybe it is my PC? I am using an Acer mini-PC that I used as a Windows Media Center. It has both VGA and HDMI using nVidia ION chipset. There could also be some settings in the CWS that could be causing this. Or maybe my build platform is shaky like Shane's printer?

Unless I can figure this out, I won't be able to use it for my primary purpose of printing jewelry items. :(
Ron

Comments

• Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    edited July 2015
    I would get the printer onto a solid table and see if the waves disappear. Obviously, the printer and all its components must be straight and solid with no slop in the movement. Perhaps your Z axis is wobbling just a little as it travels? But if that were the case, I would expect to see the waves in your rook print, and I'm not seeing it. I really appreciate you sharing your prints and experiences with us!
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Yeah Joseph_Osborn, tonight I am going to move it down to my basement where my studio is located and put it directly on the concrete floor.

I'll run the print one more time and see what happens.

I wonder if the rook is okay because it is so large. The thinner the feature, the more likely you will see the movement? The helix inside the rook could be wonky, but is hard to tell because it is in the interior of the rook and has very little visibility.

Maybe it is when the platform comes back down after the peel that the very thin parts just kind of 'wander around' before they make contact with the teflon/PDMS?
    Ron
    Haha just noticed all the damn dog hair in my print. <sigh>

I love my dog, but really don't like the hair. :p

Basement is no-man's land for the dog, so that should take care of that. I better order one of those filter funnels so I can get the hair out of the tray right now.
    Ron
    I printed another ring while the printer was on the concrete floor, but it is still wavy.

Trying with a longer cure time during the body portion to see if that helps.

Any ideas from 3DFacture?
    Ron
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    I'm having the same problem printing a cube... Let me know hw the longer curing times work out
    My initial at 2.5s on the carpet was wobbly.

My second on concrete at 5s was better, but still a little wobbly.

My third on concreate at 7s was still wobbly and noticed that fine detail was getting lost due to either overcure or I need to filter out my resin. My basket gaps between the gallery wires was filling in.

I think there is something else going on here, probably with the peeling or the z-axis movement between layers. I am tempted to try the 0 z axis movement, but Shane's bad experience concerns me.

I think I will send my CWS file to 3DFacture and have them print it. Maybe you want to try it as well @knibor?
    Ron
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Ron, please send us the CWS file to check out.
    Based on your photo, the wavy surface is likely due to the Z axis, seems wobbly or off center. The z linear stage is 1204, can you measure of your wavy height had periodic height of 4mm?

I would suggest everyone to apply lubricant oil on the ball screw to assure its smooth motion. If that still doesn't work, the ball screw might be shifted off conter during shipping, try to adjust/tighten to make sure smooth centerline rotation
    Andrew,

Thank you for the things to check. When I get home today, I will get the calipers out to give you an idea of the period of the wave. I will also post a link to the CWS file.

Do you have any photos of areas I should focus on when trying to ensure the ball screw is aligned properly? Should I use a level to help ensure straightness?

Also, any particular recommendation on the type of lubricant oil to apply? Would 3-in-1 work okay, or do I need something more specialized?

Thanks,
    Ron

Ron
  • rkundla, the edges of the stone mount and posts look rounded off. But photos can be deceiving. Does it seem that way to you looking at the actual item?
    edited July 2015
    @robertbl22 Looking at the print, they are more like rounded corner squares.

The actual STL is rounded corner square, but more sharply defined. The print is a little soft, and that could be due to my eyeballing of the calibration.

@Andrew_3Dfacture On the first print, the ripple on the thin portions of the ring looks to be about 4mm between peaks, so Z wobble seems to on target. I bought some lithium grease for the ball screw, so I will make sure it is properly lubricated and that the ball screw is mounted securely in the chassis.
    Ron
    @Andrew_3Dfacture How much wiggle should I get from the build arm where it connects to that vertical track mounted to the back wall? If I grab the build arm, I can give it a shake and see if flex.

I am not sure what screws I need to look at specifically, so if someone can take a photo can identify the areas in question, I would appreciate it.

Everyone else, my files are available on my Google Drive account here. Please look at the README file for additional information.
    Ron
    edited July 2015
    @andrew_3Dfacture indeedmy wavy height is 4mm ;)! how can I center it properly again?
    Interesting that @knibor has seen the same problem as me. I am going to get a small torpedo level to check the plumb of the ball screw, then check for square against the vat. Looking inside the chassis, I am not sure how the stepper motor is attached to the 'spine' where the build arm rides.

Hey @sabotage or @David_Berry, have either of you see this wavy behavior with your printer? I wonder if some of our failed prints have pulled anything loose?
    Ron
  • sabotagesabotage Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I've not actually printed anything since my catastophic failure... and the calibration prints were too short to reveal any waves at that period (4mm).

Between work, family vacations, and trying to sort out modeling/slicing software compatibility issues, I've just not managed to get back to running another print.

I'll out most of this evening, but I did finally get a model @thijs sent me to try sliced last night.  It was too late for me to stay up and watch it print (yeah, I'm being a bit cautious since I only have one VAT left).  If I get it printed, I'll let you know the results.  It is about 25mm tall iirc, so if there is any oscillation, it should be evident.

BTW, I'll be largely off-line for the next week while on vacation again.  Network access is not reliable where I will be.
    Shane...
    imageBacker(Ultimate Package - delivered on July 1, 2015)
  • David_BarryDavid_Barry Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I was thinking it might be the Tilt / Peel causing the problem since the ring is so small maybe a reslice with no Tilting server gcodes would prove the the tilt is causing the problem.
    Hudson Valley, NY Draken Ultimate Package Arrived 7-6-2015
    @david_Barry since the wave height is 4mm as is the pitch spindel. So my geuss stays it's off center and wil look into it coming week
    edited July 2015

The promised photo's with the wavy effect
    Looks familiar...  :-?
    Ron