Print Bed Tilt (Peel) Servo. Way to loud.

David_BarryDavid_Barry Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
The servo for the Print Bed Tilt (Peel) is quite loud. I would like to replace with a much quieter servo.

This servo looks good.
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/hitec/hs-5745mg

Is the Servo interface digital of analog?
Hudson Valley, NY Draken Ultimate Package Arrived 7-6-2015

Comments

• David_BarryDavid_Barry Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I found that that servo is to large to fit the Servo Mount.

I will find another that quite digital servo to use.
    Hudson Valley, NY Draken Ultimate Package Arrived 7-6-2015
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    I agree with you :) please keep us updated in search of more silence servo ;)!
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Yeah, even with the printer in the basement, if I don't have anything like the TV or radio turned on, I can hear the servo through the floor.

However, when I do hear it, I know the printer is still running. ;)
    Ron
  • skaadskaad Member, Backers
    Wasn't quiet operation one of the qualities the printer was supposed to fufill? It was a selling point for me anyway!
  • JHSJHS Member, Backers
    rkundla said:

Yeah, even with the printer in the basement, if I don't have anything like the TV or radio turned on, I can hear the servo through the floor.

However, when I do hear it, I know the printer is still running. ;)
    How bad is the sound? I live in an apartment and am starting to worry that I'll get complaints from my neighbours if it's that bad!
    If you haven't heard a servo motor before in something like a RC car, it will make a high pitched squeal when the motor engages the gears. I'll see about making a video if it and having it available for download.

@JHS does your apartment have concrete or wood separating the different units?
    Ron
    As a side effect of my testing the slower peel process, using stepped movement on the servo drastically reduces the noise it makes. To use this method will increase the peel duration, but it will be quieter.

The better solution would have been to use a stepper motor and either a hinge or a screw to do the peel. Plus fine motor control is a lot easier with the stepper than the servo.
    Ron
  • JHSJHS Member, Backers
    edited August 2015
    rkundla said:

If you haven't heard a servo motor before in something like a RC car, it will make a high pitched squeal when the motor engages the gears. I'll see about making a video if it and having it available for download.

@JHS does your apartment have concrete or wood separating the different units?
    Thanks for the description @rkundla

I think I may try making a simple sound isolation box to reduce the noise as I think the walls between the units are decently insulated, but I don't want to take any risks with annoying neighbours (and myself in my tiny studio apartment) for hours on end during a print job. Do you think that enclosing the Draken in a box similar to this would cause issues with things like overheating?

A lot of heat pours out of the projector while it is operating. The ventilation of the chassis is not the best, so if you were to try to use egg crate foam like that, you will definitely shorten the life of the projector.

I found a variable speed servo library for the controller board, but it needs to be ported to the STM processor on the board. It would potentially reduce the amount of servo noise due to the slow movement. The stepped version of the peel I implemented in gcode is not as loud as the original code. The servo going back to the normal position in one shot is louder than the slow peel.

While I don't think your neighbors will likely hear the noise, being in the same room with the printer will get to you.
    Ron
    I think the easiet solution would be find a more silent servo...

However you could use noise isolation but indeed it wil generate a lot of heat. The frame has the possabillity to build a fan on top of it, it's quite large however. But maybe if you find a silent (ball bearing) fan and make a box with noise isolation it will be more quiet ;)! Because some sound is absorbed but still some noise will come trough the fan hole...
  • JHSJHS Member, Backers
    Hmm thanks for the replies and suggestions, guys. Looks like I'll have to give it a little more consideration before making a move... Right now I'm just keen to get my unit so I can assess it for myself! :)
  • satoersatoer Member, Backers
    Why not put noise isolation on the servo itself. These things won't overheat with some extra isolation.
    satoer said:

Why not put noise isolation on the servo itself. These things won't overheat with some extra isolation.

What do you suggest?
    Ron
    I think the servo's can't be covered up very well... So it wouldn;t work... but that's just my idea...