Some experimental rings

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
When I cast the crest, I also cast two rings that I printed, z-axis wobble defects and all. I didn't take any photos this time of the resin prints or the just-cast pieces, but I put some degree of finishing on it. They are not 100% clean to my level of standards for a sale, but I am just using them as test/concept rings so they will work as intended.

This is a 14x10 oval standing open bezel ring that I've had previously printed at Shapeways. I needed to carve away at the band to reshape the z-axis wobble defects. Still could use some work, but it measures out pretty close so I will be able to set a stone in there.

This is a custom basket for a cushion cut aquamarine approximately 7.6 x 5.4 mm. The shank detail by the basket is all warped from the z-axis wobble and I didn't try to go in there with gravers to 'correct' it. This will be a chance to see how well my prongs held up and whether I need to change their thickness the next time around.

Ron

Comments

• Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    edited August 2015
    Very cool cast sample, Ron!
    We are doing some experiments on our own castable resin recently.  Would you be interested to help us doing some casting tests?
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I'd be glad to help test it out for you Andrew. :-D
    Ron
  • skaadskaad Member, Backers
    I would be glad to test your castable resin too once I get machine or you send some samples.
  • ValterValter Member, Backers
    wow!!! Very nice.
  • kbvprokbvpro Member, Backers
    very nice. may i ask what resin and the investment are you using. I'm a jewelry designer too. I use the Envisiontec Pic100 for the resin. And had a hard time at first but still having problem with Casting Platinum. What Metal are you casting?
    Thanks @kbvpro, I'd be glad to answer any questions.

The resin I used is a 1:1 mixture of the B9Creator Cherry and Red resin. It is optimized for a slice thickness of 50 microns. 

The processing technique I used was a 2 minute swirl in isopropyl alcohol 70%, dried off with compressed air. I spend probably 15 minutes under a UV lamp. Since I had the Z-axis issue, I spent time with sandpaper and other tools from my bench to smooth out the waves and might have put it back under the UV for another 15-30 minutes.

The investment was Ransom & Randolph Plasticast and I used the Kerr Satin Cast 20 instructions to make a 38/100 ratio mixture of investment. I followed the 5 hour burnout cycle in my kiln for lost wax. First phase sprue down to allow wax to melt, give resin place to sag, then flipped flasks up for remainder of burnout.

I did do something different this time, which was I pulled a flask out of the kiln before it reached the 900°F settle temperature, it it with some air from my compressor in case of ash and placed it in my centrifugal casting machine. I used 50/50 Stuller Sterlium casting grain and sterling scrap and melted the metal in the crucible while pushed up against the flask that was in the machine. Once everything was molten to my satisfaction, triggered the machine and the rest is standard.

Platinum casting brings its own difficulties I am sure. I haven't tried gold yet, kinda costly for the raw materials, but I do want to try it some day. What problems are you seeing with the platinum? Bad surface finish or broken investment bits?
    Ron
    Valter said:

wow!!! Very nice.

Thanks @Valter! Are you going to make jewelry with your Draken too?
    Ron
  • ValterValter Member, Backers
    @rkundla, I plan to do statues for decoration and small displays for bedrooms, living rooms and bars with LEDs. Maybe I also try to make some jewelry :)