Resins - what are our options?

So I've been trying to look at the options available for us on the resin front (I am completely new to this) and I think I now have a basic understanding of how everything works and what to look out for. However, one thing I am struggling to find is information about the differences in performance between the various options out there. Depending on where you are located, there seems to be a large difference in availability and pricing of resins. What I'm interested in is for those that have prior experience, what have you tried and what do you recommend?

On a side note, below is a list of resins that seem to be the easiest to acquire here in Australia. Perhaps we can also make this a thread for posting reviews + resin options in your region?

FunToDo DLP Resins ($65 - $90/L, $95/L for casting)

MakerJuice ($105.90 - $137.98/L) < Sold in 500mL bottles

MadeSolid 3D Printing Resin ($155 - $200/L, $302.50/L for casting)

Monocure SLA Resin ($110 - $120/L)

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    For casting, I have been using the B9Creator Cherry and Red resins on the Draken with success. 

I have been using a 1:1 ratio of Cherry and Red at 50 micron layer thickness. The exposure has been between 20 and 30 seconds per layer at projector position 1. I have been able to cast it successfully with R&R Plasticast investment.

Prices in the US are $117 for 1 kg of Cherry and $107 for 1 kg of Red. I am not sure who carries it outside of the US.

I've only used the MakerJuice G+ that came with the printer so far and it worked good for what I have printed. I tried the Red V4 and the Yellow V4 formulations. I haven't tried the Green V4 yet. Exposure at 50 microns is in the 5.5 to 7 second range at projector position 2.
    Ron
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    I tried FunToDo but this stuff sticks like crazy to the resin VAT, so I switched to makerjuice... But makerjuice also sticks a bit so maybe the sound just scared me because I heard it for the first time ;)! But I stopped using it
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    knibor said:

I tried FunToDo but this stuff sticks like crazy to the resin VAT, so I switched to makerjuice... But makerjuice also sticks a bit so maybe the sound just scared me because I heard it for the first time ;)! But I stopped using it

What type of Fun To Do resin were you using? I intend to use their new Deep Black almost exclusively in my machine. I have a friend who is using Deep Black in his top-down machine and he loves it-- of course, he doesn't have to deal with any release issues.
    I used fun to do standard blend black ;)
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    @knibor, try using my gcode modification for the slow peel. It might help with the sounds you are hearing during the peel.
    Ron
    edited September 2015

I don't know if I will with FTD... the other thing about fun to do is it gets very hot! I put it under an UV lamp and it became hot... much hotter than makerjuice... Since Andrew also warned for that I think I don't want to risk my VAT... On the other hand one vat is already damaged (and replaced by 3Dfacture) I could use that one to test ;/ I will see what I wil and can do ;)!

for now I just like makerjuice :)