Formlabs Form 2

I'm sure most everyone here has seen the formlabs form 1+ SLA printer.  I passed over it because it was expensive, slow and had a small build volume.  But is seems formlabs has come up with their next iteration, the form 2.  The bigger build volume makes more ideal for me but still too expensive and slow for my taste.  what do you guys think?

Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.

Comments

• Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    If the Form 2 will truly do everything they claim, it will be an awesome machine. I feel bad for all the people who bought the Form 1 and the early Form 1+ machines that had so many flaws.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited September 2015
    So how many ideas did they take from others? The wiper came from the B9Creator. What are the details on the peel mechanism? A heated vat? How they pull that off I wonder? I have a heated vat when the projector vents its hot exhaust underneath the vat shelf. ;-)

Resin in a box? DRMesqe control over what kind of resin you can use on the Form2 sounds possible.Maybe they heat the resin in the box or in the tubing that injects resin into the tank?

Did they really get their laser servo issues under control? I certainly wouldn't be an early adoptor on that one.
    Ron
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    They say you can still simply pour any non-Formlabs resin directly into the vat and use it the old fashioned way. They didn't go with Teflon/FEP on the new vat, which has me a little curious.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I am glad they would allow the manual method, but having the auto-fill mechanism would be really beneficial for larger prints.

I think the wiper is supposed to help the PDMS layer "breathe". Some comments seem to indicate that the hazing of PDMS is due to the exhaustion of oxygen in the PDMS layer during multiple exposures and probably components of the resin working themselves into the PDMS layer in return.

Not sure how much of that I believe since I don't know the science behind it.
    Ron