FTD Deep Black "FTW"

I want to marry this resin.  Seriously.

I elected not to get the Makerjuice from 3Dfacture since I knew I wasn't going to use it anyway.  My liter of FTD Deep Black arrived today from www.Studioqubed.com and I was able to get an awesome print of a tiny scale model wheel on just my second attempt.  The only reason the first attempt didn't work was because I didn't put enough support underneath the very thin sections and the center section got a little squashed.  

3rd position, 50 microns XYZ, 4 base layers at 6 sec, and the build layers were 2.5 sec.  All other parameters were the defaults.  I can definitely say the Draken was worth the wait.

Comments

• bryanbryan Member, Backers
    Wow!  Very nice :)
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    Looks great!
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    That turned out well Joseph! How accurate was your print to the model?

Did you try any of the anti-aliasing in CW to help get rid of some of those layer artifacts in the inside surface of the wheel?
    Ron
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    Ron, my first print that was squashed in the z-plane was within a few thousandths of an inch in diameter to the STL, so for the second print I upscaled the STL just a bit to match the proper diameter, and it came out dead perfect (yay math).  I can now use that same fudge factor to directly scale other STL's and not have to fool with CW's XY adjustments.  I used a value of 2 on the anti-aliasing for this print, and to the naked eye, the steps on the curves are barely visible.  I'm not sure how high the anti-aliasing can go before it starts to affect sharp corners and other fine detail.  The sun was catching the ridges really well in the photos and exaggerated them a bit, but I believe 25-30 micron layers would be better.    
  • sabotagesabotage Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Congrats @Joseph_Osborn, looking good!
    Shane...
    imageBacker(Ultimate Package - delivered on July 1, 2015)
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    By the way, that site looks pretty sketchy. The 'contact us' button doesn't work either. I want this resin too but I'm pretty hesitant about ordering. How did you find these guys?
  • JHSJHS Member, Backers
    @Joseph_Osborn that looks great! Good to know that one of the resins I can get at a decent price here in Australia is working out for you. I'll get my hands on some when I need to stock up on more resin. Do you know how the Deep Black compares to the "Standard" and "Industrial" blends? Deep black is supposedly their best option for detailed prints.

On another note, I've been sent some clear/unpigmented resin to test by a Sydney (Australia) based company that is starting out in the UV cured resin market. I'll post results once I receive my projector and begin printing for my project. Not sure how unpigmented resins will do with the DLP setup but I'm very interested to find out :)
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    I used the standard blend of Fun To Do this wasn't a succes... Black turned green... En it just stick like crazy on your vat...!
    Thijs said:

By the way, that site looks pretty sketchy. The 'contact us' button doesn't work either. I want this resin too but I'm pretty hesitant about ordering. How did you find these guys?

Go to www.funtodo.net and find the distributor in your country. Fun To Do is based in the Netherlands and has distributors all over the world.
    JHS said:

Do you know how the Deep Black compares to the "Standard" and "Industrial" blends? Deep black is supposedly their best option for detailed prints.

A friend of mine was using Industrial Blend in his top-down machine and liked it, but he says Deep Black is better than the IB.
  • ValterValter Member, Backers
    @Joseph_Osborn Great news. I was curious about FTD Deep Black working Drakken. Did you try sanding and polish the deep black surface? Is good to sanding and polish?
    I'd appreciate your feedback.
    thank you.
  • dRiVe2heLLdRiVe2heLL Member, Backers
    Anyone tried the FTD Standard Red Resin?
    @Joseph_Osborn Great news. I was curious about FTD Deep Black working Drakken. Did you try sanding and polish the deep black surface? Is good to sanding and polish?
    I'd appreciate your feedback.
    thank you.
    It can be sanded after it is post-cured.

And the FTD Deep Black will cause the orange portions of the tank to micro-fracture, just like Makerjuice.