Failed prints

soupysoupy Member, Backers
edited October 2015 in Prints and Samples
imageThis is the first time i've tried 3d printing and dont really know much about it. I've tried everything today to get a successful print. but every time i try it. It just turns out like this with floating layers all around the model. I've tried using fresh resin from the bottle. Cleaning the projector. Cleaning the VAT.. but i cant seem to figure out what is causing this. I'm using the default draken settings and makerjuice G+ resin. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Or how i can fix this? 

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Looks like overexposure because of the flashing.

What resin are you using? White? I've heard white can be difficult to use due to the pigment. You will have to play with the settings and do multiple prints before you dial into a good setup. Start with a smaller object so your print times aren't so long.

3D resin printing is not really plug and play just yet. ;-) The chemistry is not consistent between vendors of resin and even between colors of the resin. The printer designs all vary to some degree so what works for one may not work for others.
    Ron
  • sabotagesabotage Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    As @rkundla said, pigment does affect cure times. Some allow more transmittance, some can actually cause scatter too. There was another thread a while back where the 3D Facture team mentioned some problems with specific colors being difficult to tune in the cure times. Blue was definitely one of them, but I seem to recall white was too. Try a search in these forums to see if you can find it again.
    Shane...
    imageBacker(Ultimate Package - delivered on July 1, 2015)
  • soupysoupy Member, Backers
    I've ordered some red makerjuice G+ resin. I hope that will work better. I've read more into this problem for other printers and some called it "background curing". But most of the post i've read about it said that it might be a GPU issue because the way the GPU handles the image and alters the blacks and the whites. So the black is not true black and causes some background curing. I've tried messing with some of the settings and manage to get a bit less background curing but it still seems to be happening.

I was just curious. To those backers that manage to get their successful prints. Do you guys use AMD/Nvidia GPUs or Intel GPUs.
  • soupysoupy Member, Backers
    edited October 2015
    @sabotage I tried looking for the forum post but i cant seem to find it. But everyone seems to be doing fine with red resin so i'm going to try that instead. 

@rkundla Yeah i'm using white resin. It's white makerjuice G+ resin. Thanks for the tip on printing smaller objects. I started printing smaller objects (the test file provided). and now i can see when a print goes wrong and try again every 15m and not waste as much resin.
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    Hi I've used a nvidia 1 GB ram GPU (yes overkill ;p it's just my laptop) but also the intel GPU in my CPU works :/ but also the raspberry pi works with the projector...
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    We don't recommend white and blue color.  Tried white Makerjuice before and it doesn't work as you found.
    Red and yellow are the best.
  • satoersatoer Member, Backers
    Hmmm. I've just ordered green G+. Didn't know the color would make a difference. Any remarks on Green G+?
    soupy said:

I've ordered some red makerjuice G+ resin. I hope that will work better. I've read more into this problem for other printers and some called it "background curing". But most of the post i've read about it said that it might be a GPU issue because the way the GPU handles the image and alters the blacks and the whites. So the black is not true black and causes some background curing. I've tried messing with some of the settings and manage to get a bit less background curing but it still seems to be happening.

I was just curious. To those backers that manage to get their successful prints. Do you guys use AMD/Nvidia GPUs or Intel GPUs.
    That isn't a function of the GPU, but a function of the projector. No projector in this class will ever give you pure black. There can be too much light leakage from the bulb even when all of the mirrors on the DMD are turned away. The trick is to alter the brightness and contrast of the projector to give you the best balance between them. Too much black will result in not enough power when white is displayed, causing your exposure times to increase.

Again, each resin is a little different. The amount of pigment helps slow down the curing of the resin, but you may have to alter the exposure and layer height to get the right combination that works for that resin.
    Ron
    satoer said:

Hmmm. I've just ordered green G+. Didn't know the color would make a difference. Any remarks on Green G+?

I have the green resin as part of my kit, but I haven't tried it yet. I've used both the red and yellow to good success.
    Ron