Call for tutorial videos

With more and more backers receiving and starting to use Draken, there is increasing number of questions.
We would appreciate if you can help post some illustration/tutorial videos to get the beginners start their first print.  Videos such as:
1. Walk-through of how to setup up Draken properly after opening the box.  
2. Tips on successful prints.
3. Trouble shooting session such as how to connect Draken properly and potential pitfalls.

We are developing a few cool gadgets recently. The active contributors of this forum might have opportunity to join our VIP club and become our early beta tester.   

Comments

• kjlkurtkjlkurt Member, Backers
    This is a really good idea.  Right now I am kind of confused (but I haven't been able to actually print anything as I don't have my project yet but I did get my tacking number today).  I think it will all come together when I get to see how all the pieces work together.

Sometimes I get mixed up in terminology and a place that describe / show pictures each of the pieces and the purpose of it.  The user guide has been helpful in this way but it would be good to have a "dictionary" of items.  For example,  vat is the same thing as the resin tank but that took me a while to make that connection  (very new to the 3d printer world, but I know I'll catch on when I start tinkering with it)

One good tutorial would be a start to finish on how to get a raspberry pi as a host controller working.  I think many people would like a good step by step tutorial for that as its a cheap way to make a wireless printer.  I was planning asking a few of the others for some guidance and then make a post / article with step by step.
  • kniborknibor Member, Backers
    @kjlkurt I made a quick walktrough of the rpi with chw a long time ago, you can find it here :

I'll make another later this week when I find time ;)

@Andrew_3Dfacture whats the best way of "post" this tutorials ? I think it's gonna get messy when posted on the forum... Do we have to post them directly to you? So you can put them in the user manual? Or in a forum thread? 
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    kjlkurt said:

One good tutorial would be a start to finish on how to get a raspberry pi as a host controller working.  I think many people would like a good step by step tutorial for that as its a cheap way to make a wireless printer.  I was planning asking a few of the others for some guidance and then make a post / article with step by step.
    Shane aka Sabotage has the RPH working on his printer. He might have some pointers or links to websites he used as reference that he can share.

The glossary would be huge since so many different vendors call their similar parts different names. I've always used vat versus resin tank. Vat is so much easier to type. ;-) Identifying the names of the components is the next biggest issue. Maybe 3DFacture can come up with the official names for the various components so we can try to standardize our description. The whole build assembly needs an exploded diagram so it can be named.
    Ron
    I too have running my printer from my raspberry pi ;)! It's pretty simple to setup over SSH... Maybe I can make a screen recording of it tonight ;)! But to be fair... Just putting your laptop next to your printer can be faster... (because exporting slices from CW to disk can take long and it creates the slices on the fly when printing from your laptop)
    @Andrew_3Dfacture @kjlkurt I made an isntall movie of cwh from start to finish ;)! you can find it here : 

• sabotagesabotage Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Great job @knibor!  Thanks for doing that.
    Shane...
    imageBacker(Ultimate Package - delivered on July 1, 2015)
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    +1 @knibor
    That's a good start and pretty cool music!
    I would suggest put a brief list of steps and download links in the future.  It will be easier for people to follow after watching your video.
    Please post your videos here first.  We will get it organized later into a special tutorial section.

• kjlkurtkjlkurt Member, Backers
    thanks @knibor.  Looks like I had my pi setup correctly already.  Now just time to put in my printer and test to see if I can get my printer to do a "dry" print / move the peice's as I don't have my projector yet.
    I will post the links and steps later :) I tried to do it yesterday but I was sick and felll asleep... Sorry!:/
  • David_BarryDavid_Barry Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    @knibor Quite a good job thank you.

I hope WesGilster has time to finish new GUI soon.
    Hudson Valley, NY Draken Ultimate Package Arrived 7-6-2015
    edited October 2015
    @Andrew_3Dfacture as promised (made it kinda quick in my break but it's something ;)!)(and sorry for the delay) :

Step 1 :

Download SD card formatter and Win32diskimager from :

Step 2: 

Install SD card formatter and Win32diskimager

Step 3:

Insert the (micro)SD card you want to use with your pi and start SD card formatter. Make sure the right device is selected.

Also click option and set "format size adjustment" to ON.

Click format and OK.

Step 4:

Download raspbian "Wheezy" from here : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Step 5: 

Start Win32diskimager and select the .img file you downloaded in step 4. Also make sure the correct device is selected and click write > Yes. This can take a while ;)!

Step 6:

After Win32diskimager says it's finished disconnect your sd card safely and put it in your raspberry pi. Connect the pi to your network and power up your pi ;)! (In this tutorial we use an ethernet cable but this could als be by a WiFi network But you first need to setup your wifi, here you can find how to do that (if drivers work out of the box) : https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md)

Step 7:

Download advanced ip scanner from here : http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/nl/

Step 8:

Start advanced ip scanner and scan your network. Find the ip your raspberry pi is using and note it somewhere. 

Step 9:

Step 10:

Start putty and enter the ip you found in step 7 and connect. You get an login screen enter "pi" as username and "raspberry" as password.

Step 11:

After login enter sudo raspi-config and expand file system and enable camera. After this click finish and choose reboot.

Step 12:

reconnect putty as in step 10

Step 13:

run/paste the following code in putty :

sudo chmod 777 start.sh
    sudo ./start.sh

Yayy you installed Creation workshop host on your raspberry pi ;)! You can access it from theipofyourpi:9091 or see optional:

Optional :

Download cwhClient-x.xxx.zip (the x are numbers) from https://github.com/area515/Creation-Workshop-Host/tree/master/host and unpack it. 

after unpackin run browseprinter.bat and it will open up your printer ;)

• David_BarryDavid_Barry Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    We should make a IMG file for raspbian with CWH installed and configured for Draken and make a private torrrent for Draken users.
    Hudson Valley, NY Draken Ultimate Package Arrived 7-6-2015
    edited October 2015
    @David_Barry the cwh team has planned to make an img when done... But cwh is still very beta-ish... That's why they have it on low priority :/ I do know how to make an .img file from my SD card but it then only works on sd cards with exactly the same size ...

If someone knows more about that subject than that would be great :)
  • bryanbryan Member, Backers
    I can host files on my server if you'd like.
    @knibor... thanks for the efforts, Robin!
    Google drive could be a good choice for host big files too.
    edited October 2015
    Hosting the files wouldn't be a problem (got some servers too) but the point stays if there is only 1GB usable data but it's gonna take 8GB... (Because it would be an image of an 8GB card) than that isn't very handy :/ and the only steps you would eliminate would be connecting to the pi through putty (or log it in with a keyboard and monitor hooked too it) and copy paste the 3 lines of code... You have done that way quicker than downloading the 8GB ;p

But yeah if you guys really want an image I can make it I suppose (if you've got an bigger SD card you still have to log in into putty and expand the filesystem)... Or we wait until the developer makes an one and we integrate our files in it...

The current idea of what I understood from Wes is that manufacturers would make their own forks. When running the 3rd command (sudo start.sh I think... You can give it a parameter of an repo and it will get it's resources from there ;)!) (Like draken profiles)
    edited October 2015
    I might think of selling an install service by selling pre-configured (micro)-SD cards. You do NOT pay for the software than ;)! Only for the (Micro)SD card, the time it took intstalling and configuring and the shipping cost ofcourse... To be fair I don't know if it's legal (CWH hasn't got a license but since I'm not charging for the software it shouldn't be a problem right?) And I don't know if anyone is interested? Or somebody doesn't want me too do that? (#sorry I'm a student :P)
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    @knibor, So I am new to all this, been following the step by step guide on setting up Raspberry pi.  Stuck on step 13.... arguably the most important step since that is what actually installs CWH haha.  I keep getting a failure to access github.com.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I followed all previous steps to the letter.  Even using an ethernet cable to reduce complexity there.  My wifi network is passworded but I figured since my pi is plugged into my laptop which has network access then the pi would have it as well.... maybe my think is flawed in that though.  Again, first time I have tried anything with Raspberry pi so the fact I got this far is a testament to the quality of the guide haha.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    @Gravelle think of the Raspberry Pi like a computer. It needs its own internet connection and IP address so you can run the command to download from the git repository.

If you have a switch, look up your internet connection to the switch, then add cables for the Pi and your computer. Reboot the Pi and hopefully it will use DHCP to grab an IP address and then you will be in business.
    Ron
    Success!!!! So it should be noted that in step 13 where you have to download CWH to Raspberry pi you have to have your pi connected to your router vice your PC.  That was my issue...  For some reason the browseprinter.bat file isn't working for me (just opens a window and immediately closes it) but I can get to CWH using the ip address.  Great guide @knibor, I literally would have spent weeks trying to figure that out on my own.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    edited January 2016
    Below is another video.  Over the next few days I intend to do a step by step guide on setting up a print, getting it printed, and post print processing.  This video was to provide a basic overview on how the printer works.  Feedback is greatly appreciated.  I made the video because after making the timelapse videos I had many family and friends ask about how the printer works.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hQ21gbeYFYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Wow, very nice and detailed video=D>
    Love your video series and subscribed!
    edited January 2016
    I created some tutorial videos showing how to take a CAD model from start to finish.  Check them out and let me know what you think.  Your input helps me make future videos better.  I tried to link all the videos together so it wasn't just one really long video but also so that there was an obvious step by step progression through the guide.
    Great videos . . . very helpful!
    It seems like there's about a minute of duplication in the How it Works video:

Thanks
    edited January 2016
    Huh. Not sure why that happened for you. I rewatched the video and didn't find any of the video duplicated.
    Here's what I get (Firefox 43, Windows 7):

0:02 Logo
    0:10 Narration starts: "This video will provide a basic understanding . . ."
    0:44 Narration cut off mid-sentence
    0:50 Logo reappears
    0:55 Narration restarts: "This video . . ."
    1:30 Caught up to where narration was cut off
    4:13 End
    I will look into that, haven't had a problem on my phone (Android) or either of my laptop's using chrome and both Windows 7 and 10. Thanks for letting me know.
  • EduardoEduardo Member, Backers
    I did everything as Knibor said but instead of getting the CWH installed I got the Photonic3D. Does anyone knows what happened? Is this odd software the new version of the CWH? Is there another address to download and install the CWH?
    Photonic3D is the new name for what was once called the Creation Workshop Host (CWH). 

I am pretty sure it had something to do with Envision Labs having the rights on the name of Creation Workshop.

Ron