Miniature AR-15 Lower Receiver

Now before everyone freaks out, this was printed at a 1:3 scale and is in no way capable of firing ammunition. With the politically correct mumbo jumbo out of the way, here are some pics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EfgW21rXySdzBhMklzSGtROWc/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EfgW21rXyScW5Hd2pDQkhlU1k/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EfgW21rXySVmFJQ2YyMDh2VlE/view?usp=docslist_api

I already had this CAD model on my comp when I got my printer. I figured it would be a good resolution test. Printed at 37 microns xy and 10 microns z. 2.3 second layer exposure with 20 base layers at 8 seconds. Used Meshmixer supports and CW raft. It turned out pretty nice. The Z wobble artifacts have almost completely gone away since I fixed the projector mount to be more secure. Thinking maybe the tilt servo was causing some wobble on the projector end.
Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I didn't realize 1:3 scale would seem so small. What is that banding you see on the side of the print? The top part of the lower looks nice and crisp.
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    I had a small amount of z-wobble. The wobble appears to have gone away when I made my projector mounted more tightly. The receiver was printed with the bottom of the magazine well parallel to the build plate. That is why the banding is at an angle. The buffer tube ring actually turned out really well. You can't see in the pictures but even the threads printed somewhat.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    Also I had been using alcohol to clean the vat for the last two weeks and just did some research and found that the small cracks I have been getting on the bottom of my vat were due to that.... Soap and water for cleaning from now on!!! The vat isn't useless, you can still print on it no problem but surface defects like the vertical scratch looking lines on the right side of the magazine well are going to be on my prints. Good thing I have an extra vat. :)
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    How did you tighten the projector @Gravelle ? Mine is hanging pretty loosely as well and I'm having a pretty bad wobble in my prints
    @Thijs, I printed spacers to put onto the posts on the projector mounting plate. It took out the wiggle room out of the projector mounting plate so that it is held tightly within the slot. I haven't been able to do any printing lately because of work so most of my speculation on this fixing the z wobble is from one print (the vat pouring spout). I will be doing some more testing when I get the chance.
    edited January 2016
    I decided to make a 2:3 scale print since I've had my projector in slot 7 for a while now and wanted to make a bigger one.  I made another time lapse video for you all to view.  Shot this one with my GoPro so there is a very definitive fish eye effect in the video but overall it still looks really good. :)  The print failed because I didn't have enough support in the front of the model and it peeled off the supports causing the magazine well to be deformed.  I"m thinking that eventually I want to print each individual component of a scaled down AR15 and get all the parts moving and working properly.  Obviously it wouldn't be able to handle the stress of shooting anything.  But I would be a very accurate scaled replica.