Two part ring print

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
Here is a new print with the 3:1 b9 resin mix. ~40 micron X-Y and 50 micron Z.

I am seeing some artifacts from the FEP layer making marks on smooth surfaces, so I will probably have to peel the FEP to get a smoother print surface.

Link to album:

Ron

Comments

• Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    Beautiful print, Ron. I'm starting to see some slight ripples in my FEP that translate into the flat surfaces on my prints, too. I'm debating on whether or not to remove the FEP and print directly onto the silicone, or try to place a new piece of FEP using the procedure the Kudo3D people use. I have another unused vat, but I don't want to use it until absolutely necessary.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Thanks Joseph!

I am going to peel back that FEP and try it again.

If you are going to take it off yours, be careful when you approach the FEP-PDMS-acrylic interface, if you pull too hard, you will pull the PDMS off the acrylic and then it is a matter of time before resin gets under it and causes mischief. I found if I kept my fingers on the FEP-PDMS and started to gently pull from a corner it helped.

Ron
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    I have tried a few prints earlier without the FEP. The first couple of prints came out as they should, but after that I didn't manage to print anything successfully anymore since my prints were sticking to the VAT instead of the build plate time and time again. I actually cut through the PDMS by accident when I tried to prime one of the failed prints off. That happened way easier than I expected so be carefull with that! Good luck
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I changed my support structure and got better results with the ring shape. These little details make a big difference on the quality of the output. I am now just using PDMS, no FEP tape.

Since I was using my crappy vat with crazing on the clear acrylic, there are a lot of small line artifacts on my prints. I am testing a different vat with less crazing (acrylic sucks) to see the results. I will then try to print on my broken glass vat and see if there is a difference.

Ron