PROFILE: B9 Yellow Castable Resin

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
edited January 2016 in Prints and Samples
I am sharing my profile that I used on the Draken with the B9Creations yellow castable resin.

This is the new castable resin from the folks at B9Creations. Made for their own printer, many other DLP-based printers have had good luck using the B9 resins as well. The yellow resin is pigmented for 20-50 micron Z-axis layers and according to their information, has very low ash after burn out and doesn't need to be mixed if it has been sitting in the vat for a long time.

This bottle is currently selling for $199 on their website. It is sold by weight, but someone computed the volume to be about 900 ml.

The model I am printing is a ring design I made for a customer that was two parts. The head would be attached to the shank via two pins and soldered into place. There are various small prongs for melee diamonds on the shank as well as the head. Designed with RhinoGold. All supports other than the base were added with RhinoGold.

These are the settings I used for the exposure of 50 micron Z layers. I have the projector in slot 2, so the build already is pretty small so I can get the sub-40 micron XY resolution.

This shows my peel sequence using my firmware. Slow peel with a fast return.

Here is the print after an approximate 2 1/2 hour print job. I use my custom small build plate with perforations and my vat is one I built myself from laser cut acrylic as an experiment. The vat has ~77g of Qsil 216 as the PDMS layer with a piece of adhesive FEP film over the region where the projector light boundary falls (much easier to put down instead of the whole vat!)

Here is a close up of the print stuck to the plate.

Print removed and run through some isopropyl alcohol for cleaning. Sorry for the crummy ISO performance from my camera. The model is under the UV lamp (model in a beaker with water in it) for further curing, so I will take a better picture when it is done.

Some other ring examples I have printed previously using these settings.

Ron

Comments

• kbvprokbvpro Member, Backers
    looking good. how is the casting and the burn out (your setting). I'm looking to get some to and try myself.. my design is with alots of prong and milgrain

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    @kbvpro burn out was okay, probably need to modify my timing a little bit since I was getting some rough surfaces on the inside of the band and the bottom by the sprue.

I have been hanging around the B9 forums to get tips from the folks over there on their experiences. I need to ensure proper curing and I think I need to run my highest temperature a little longer in the kiln to ensure good burn out of the resin. Supposedly one of the guys over there is using Satincast 20 with the yellow and green resins, so that seems to imply I should be able to get cleaner results.

I've gone back to my 1:1 mix red/cherry for now since I wanted to see the detail a little better while tweaking my printer settings.
    Ron