More rings with the B9 Yellow castable resin

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
Here are some new prints using the B9 Yellow castable resin.

Parameters:

38 XY 25 Z (Slot 2 + lens extension mod)
Bottom 30000 msec Layer 8000 msec
Acrylic vat with PDMS and FEP
Custom perforated small plate

Ron

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited February 2016
    I'm doing a test cast of the yellow using some new burn out parameters so hopefully this works out well!

Can't stand the little hairs that fuzz that appears to get into my resin and trapped in my prints. :(( I don't think I will get to clean room level protection, so I'll just have to roll with it. 

It appears that I have a defect in either the vat/PDMS/FEP or a bad pixel on the projector. See the strange trail in the bezel on the left print? I printed a different ring and had a similar trail. I could see it was an actual hole through the model. :-?
    Ron
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited February 2016
    Raw photos of my casting result.

The ring below was cast in sterling silver using Kerr Satin Cast 20 at 40 ml of water per 100g of investment. Water is augmented with 20g of Calcium Nitrate per 1L of water to help with combustion of resin.

The following burn out schedule was used:
    • Start from cold oven
    • 300°F @ 999°F/hr for 1 hour
    • 700°F @ 999°F/hr for 2 hours
    • 1350°F @ 999°F/hr for 3 hours
    • 900°F @ 999°F/hr for 1+ hours (until ready to cast)

Kiln is a Paragon SC3, top plug removed and ducted with an inline fan to the exterior of the house. No additional air was pumped into the kiln or the door left cracked open to enhance combustion.

I am not sure what happened to the silver. The part by the prongs was all oxidized while the lower part of the shank was shiny. A soak in pickle removed the oxidation. Maybe I mixed some sterling with anti-tarnish silver and they separated?

After pickle, sprue removal and magnetic pin tumbling.

After some polishing and setting of cubic zirconia melee. The lettering on the inside of the ring shank didn't turn out as nice as I hoped, but this print was not a good print compared to others I am holding for the real cast. But, all in all, I am happy with the result, no porosity I've seen so far and no broken investment, etc.

Ron