Valentine Day Gift for my wife

GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
edited February 2016 in Prints and Samples
I printed a twisted heart vase for my wife as a valentine gift and used the opportunity to make another video.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  It was my first time using G+ resin and thought it turned out pretty good.  Some weird anomalies with cured resin happened though.  I got a long stick of resin sticking off the front of the model while it was printing and a oddly shaped blob on the right side of the print in the resin tank.  Any thoughts from you guys on where these came from?  You can see both in the video.

I used slot 7, 40s base exposure time 15 base layers, 20s normal exposure.  it took about 15 hours to print.

-Gravelle
Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Nice video Gravelle. I think the chocolates and card at the end were a nice touch! ;)

I couldn't really see the blob, but that strip was interesting. Did you see any artifacts on the slices page of CW? Maybe you are getting light spillage? Or maybe part of the base layer separated and was left hanging? Watching the time lapse and seeing that strip curl up towards the plate was something different.

I will watch it again and see if I can find the lump you are talking about. Maybe it is indirectly from the same source that caused the strip?
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    You can see the blob sitting in the vat after the print is finished.

The strip is probably a layer that separated at the beginning of the print.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    At the 0:52 mark in your video, it looks like a piece broke off somewhere and was just kind of floating around down in the vat. Maybe it is a part from the strip that didn't get stuck and all you have was continuous near exposure to a floating resin piece until you get that blob?
    Ron
    That's possible.  I thought the print was going to be ruined because of the blob but it didn't end up being stuck to the part.
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Nice print and Valentine gift! @Gravelle  
    Another possibility might be the common issue for DLP projector:  the feather effect (named created by Envision Tech).
    Basically the resin cured by background light, which might accumulate and happen in a certain layer.  This can be reduced by adding a Neutral density filter on top of lens.
    Won't a neutral density filter result in longer exposure times since you are attenuating all frequencies of light by the same amount?

I looked at the EnvisionTec blog post that described the feathering and I'd believe it to be more a boolean/solid issue within the model itself than errant light exposure or chemical contamination. Manual inspection of the sliced output for unsupported slices first, then a run through the netfabb checker or the one provided by Microsoft here would be a good place to check the integrity of the model. That vase might work okay for the sloppiness of FDM printers, but SLA might have an issue.

Ron
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Yes, NDF will increase exposure time, but increase contrast as well.  Higher contrast if normally better for DLP.

Yeah, thinking about that it would be very beneficial for super light sensitive resins.
    Ron
    In terms of model integrity I don't think that is the issue.  The current layer view in the video is taken from creation workshop.  All I do is take a screen recording of me holding the right scroll button down in the layer view tab.  So any shapes that somehow made it into the model I would expect to show up in that video since that's what the projector is actually showing.  I do think that maker juice is much more light sensitive than FTD resin.  And there is probably alot more background curing happening.  I haven't done much in playing with my projectors settings so I don't know if changing contrast will have much effect.  So far I definitely prefer FTD resin over MJ

Unfortunately my work schedule is quickly taking away my printing time haha.