What are you printing? March 2016

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
The February thread was a success - thanks everyone for contributing!

This month is March, which we all tend to think of green and St. Patrick's Day! Now, you can post whatever you have printed since that is the name of the thread, but if you have something green, St. Patrick's or Irish-related, or both B-) share it with us!

Ron

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited April 2016
    I've been working with Thijs on some print testing and casting. Thijs provided me with an STL of his own design, a very detailed and ornate skull ring.

Here is the print using B9Creations Yellow with a 38 micron XY and a 25 micron Z:

And here it is cast in sterling silver (one whole ounce of sterling silver!) using the burn out I've described in other messages:

Detail came out pretty good I think and I am sending it to Thijs so he can oxidize and polish it up!
    Ron
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    Bad-ass :D I will post pictures when I finished the polishing!!
    I'm very happy with the level of detail the Draken can print, also surprised of how well the B9 resin behaved in the casting-process. Thank you Ron!
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    Wonderful results, @rkundla. I think if some people see this they might reconsider getting an B9 machine and opt for a Draken. Was this printed on a regular vat or the flex vat?
    @Joseph_Osborn if I remember correctly this was printed on the flex vat since my tilt mechanism broke and I haven't received my replacement part from Andrew yet.

The result did turn out nice. I had one in the mixed B9 red resin that has great detail, but I attempted to make the supports and they were all over the place! ;) @Thijs gave me a model with custom supports that worked out very well for printing.

Ron
    Decided to break out the MakerJuice G+ and run it on the flexible vat with my non-holey build plate.

The Origamix Rabbit, scaled to fix my smaller build platform at slot 2: 38 micron XY with 100 micron layers. Posed next to my MakerJuice G+ bottle for scale.

I painted it with some Rustoleum Bronze Metallic paint since my cure didn't turn out nice. Too much water/alcohol/UV made the print really cloudy white when it was all said and done.

Ron
    I hope I can post some results too within 2 weeks, I'll receive my new parts next week 
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    I got the opportunity to do a test print for one of 3DFacture's potential customers.  It was by far the most difficult thing I have tried to print and the highest resolution part I've done.  The STL file was over 800MBs, it took a fair amount of time just to setup the print because my computer slowed down so much haha.  If you watch the video and notice in creation workshop that pretty much every time I do anything creation workshop stops responding and I have to wait for everything to catch up.

I'm super excited with how everything turned out in the end because some features on this print are as small as hair and I'm not even joking.  Here are some pictures, the link to the video is at the bottom.  The printing parameters are in the video description.

Here is the timelapse and video overview of this print, enjoy!

Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    Nice to see a bangle bracelet! That looks like a tough one especially for MakerJuice G+.

Did you want me to try that in castable resin to provide another view of it for the potential customer?
    Ron
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    It would be great to check out the how does it print on castable resin as well. Here is that big file:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx-KevVanX-hS1RLZlV0c25XQlk
    That STL is a monster. Netfabb Basic reports errors in the bangle top, but I can't fix them with the basic app since it runs out of memory. <sigh>

I'll try it as-is and see what happens.
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    I had the same issue, even when you watch the timelapse of it printing and look at the layer images you can see some of the geometry is a little wonky.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
  • soupysoupy Member, Backers
    @rkundla have you tried using zbrush instead? I've seen some jewelers use zbrush and make some incredible stuff. Also zbrush comes with a 64bit version that way you wont run out of memory. I was messing with the file in zbrush and manage to reduce the file size from 175mb to 113mb without any loss of details, that way it's easier to manipulate it around in CW.

I also find that Makerjuice SF prints and holds details better than G+ does. I actually tested out the bangle just for fun because i know i will never print out any jewelry prints. I printed it on slot 5 at 70 microns and a 0.50 layer height and from what i can see from my print, the makerjuice SF holds details quite well and it is quite a decent print at those settings. Below are the pictures of the prints. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Nnr5rIfATnQUZ4bW4wU2FOQUk/view?usp=sharing

@Andrew_3Dfacture I hope it is ok that i messed with the file a bit and tried printing it. 
    That turned out nice @soupy

I haven't tried zbrush yet. What did you do to the model in zbrush to help reduce the overall file size? I used Meshmixer to split the file into two separate parts, but the netfabb software was able to 'repair' the top of the bangle, but it had problems trying to re-export the data back to a STL file.

I've been fighting my printer for the past week trying to figure out why it couldn't keep a print on the build plate to save its life. I have a workaround now for the flexible vat, so I am trying to dial back in my exposure settings before I give the bangle a try. :)
    Ron
    edited March 2016
    Zbrush has a plugin called Decimation master which rearranges the geometry of a mesh into something more efficient. In short it takes out polys where they aren't needed. 
    Went to look at the price for zbrush - wowza!

I wonder if there a cheaper alternative that can do the same thing?
    Ron
    I believe Pixoligic made a sort of downgraded (free) version so people can get a feel for it (and to get future costumers on their side ;)). It's called 'Sculptris'. I have no idea about the features it provides but maybe it's something worth checking out. I do recommend Zbrush though. It's worth 3 times what they're selling it for. I use Zbrush for 95% of the work I do
  • soupysoupy Member, Backers
    edited March 2016
    Yeah zbrush can be a bit expensive but for what it can do it is definitely worth the price and also I think their upgrades are all free so you only have to purchase it once for the lifetime of the product. They've been giving out free updates since zbrush 2 and now they are on zbrush 4r7.
    But if you like you can give it a try for 45 days https://pixologic.com/zbrush/trial/

And like thijs said, there is a feature in zbrush called decimation master and it works wonders at reducing polygon count. It is also frequently used for 3d prints because it helps reduce the polygon count to a more manageable level without losing details since some 3d print websites (Shapeway - 1m polygon count) or printing software has memory limitations this helps a lot. 

Yeah there is sculptris which is a strip down version of zbrush but that doesn't have the built in functionality for 3d printing like zbrush does such as exporting and importing STL files or even decimation master. It's mainly just used for simple digital sculpting and it can only export files as OBJ.
  • sjensensjensen Member, Backers
    Blender has a decimate modifier which looks to be similar to zbrush's one. Might be worth checking out as a free alternative. 
  • teopeleteopele Member, Backers
    edited March 2016

imageimageimage
    Nice ring print @teopele

What resin are you using?
    Ron
    Thank you very much :)
    I used, 3DM-CAST 
    Have you tried casting that in metal yet? Anything special you need to do to get a good clean cast using 3DM-CAST?
    Ron
    I produced a foundry which wasn't good enough,but maybe it's my fault,as I forgot to put the object under UV lamps or have it exposed in the sun... When the foundry is good,I''ll post it to you.
This discussion has been closed.