What are you printing? April 2016

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
Spring has sprung and it is time again for a new thread of "What are you printing?"

More people should be getting their printer so I hope we see some new members show off their prized prints.

I've been doing some experimenting, so I haven't been printing anything new and interesting, but let me see what I might have to share...
Ron

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited April 2016
    Here is a ring I am making custom for one of my clients. It is based on a triskele-inspired design and will hold three cabochon gemstones representing Mom and two children.

This was an experimental print before I make the final. (38 XY 50 Z)

Ron
    The casting in the photo above was from a print down vertically. The print on the left was done at a 15° angle, so the build lines aren't as noticable as the cast ring. 

Here is the final ring (a 15° print) with the gemstones set:

Ron
  • sjensensjensen Member, Backers
    Looks great!
     (the image in your first post isn't working for me for some reason?)
    Thanks @sjensen! Google Photos is not working the same so you can't embed photos since it appears to 'expire' them from some temporary storage after some time.

I reembedded the photo using tinypic so it should be relatively permanent. Too bad the forum software doesn't hold the photos itself, but I am sure that would increase the storage burden on 3D Facture. :P
    Ron
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    edited April 2016
    You guys might remember the skullring that Ron printed and cast for me last month in makesolid yellow (or was it some other resin Ron?) and thought it be nice to show the final results to all of you:

imageimageimage

• bryanbryan Member, Backers
    Wow!
    @Thijs it was the B9 yellow castable resin.
    Ron
    So I've finished putting together the statue I was working on. This is approx. 22cm tall.
    The print quality was great but I messed it up a lot putting it together with the putty, sanding and primer. Overall I don't mind the rougher finish too much and I'm going to create a cold cast bronze version but in the future I'd like to be able to do a better job.

If I had my time again I would have been smarter about creating keys to attach everything.
    I printed all the parts, around 25 all up, using slot 3. I think given the quality I lost putting it all together I would have been better off creating fewer, bigger parts at slot 5 or 6 instead.

Render using Octane

Photograph

That is still pretty amazing @sjensen! Impressive work. Are you going to try the larger print area just to see what happens?
    Ron
    edited April 2016
    From last month's thread, I finally got around to printing part of that bangle bracelet using the B9 mix red resin at 38XY 50Z. The photo was from after rinse and before UV.

Unfortunately, I cannot print uniformly across my build plate due to the age on my lamp (over 1000 hours!) so the left side doesn't get enough UV energy compared to the left and the raft at the bottom wasn't 100% fully attached.

Overexposed side:

The middle:

The end with least exposure and best detail:
    Ron
  • ValterValter Member, Backers
    Wow greats jobs!!! Congratulations!!
    edited April 2016
    Hey @Valter, it has been a while! Do you have your printer yet?
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    Awesome print.  Definitely contributing most of my difficulty to the resin I used.  Also, exceptional photography.  Wish I could take pictures that good. haha.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
  • b33nineb33nine Member, Backers
    edited April 2016
    imageBeen able to start digging some time into getting my printer set up nicely. Obviously printed in two parts, he's about 5" tall in total. Printed (I think...) in slot 6, the body at 50 micron layer height and the head at 25 micron layer height.

Nice work! came out great
    Nice @b33nine! Just like your avatar. :D

Did you change resins or adjust the color between prints?
    Ron
  • b33nineb33nine Member, Backers
    Thanks guys! It's all MJ G+, just slight differences in the mixture of red/yellow. Want to get my hands on some SF here in the near future.
    Ring design using the green castable resin 3DFacture has in their online store.

Printed on the Vivitek at 25-28 XY with 50 Z using the standard acrylic vat.

With the smoked oval Ethiopian Opal fit into place. I hope it turns out well in silver!

Ron
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    Love iiit, and that opal is phenomenal
    Thanks @Thijs! I wish the opal was more vivid in standard room light, but when hit with the spotlight, all those colors pop out. I'll cast the ring this weekend along with some more customer work and share more photos.
    Ron
This discussion has been closed.