What are you printing? May 2016

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
"April showers bring May flowers", or so the saying goes. 

We had some nice prints on the April monthly print thread so I am anxious to see some new owners of the Draken come on board and show off their first print! 

To those of you who have contributed previously, keep on sharing, we'd all like to see what you have been cooking up!
Ron

Comments

• robjos1robjos1 Member, Backers
    Hi all,

Finally got round to printing. Using the details posted on the forums got great prints first time out after replacing the linear stage with the updated one from 3dFacture. Used makerjuice G+ red included with the machine and super happy with the results. Printed in slot 5 fairly central to get the best focus from the projector. My version of the 'test' rook:

All the fine details, stone work, steps and twist printed perfectly. I have printed other objects but put a few too many supports on one so was a little messy (used FDM settings in Meshmixer by mistake) but will post the new prints soon. Its certainly more 'effort' to use than an FDM printer but well worth it for the results are in a different league. Pretty happy to have such a capable machine, especially for the price I paid in the end.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited May 2016
    Nice print! 

But I have to ask... it looks a little 'stretched' from what I've seen before. Is it supposed to be like that or did something happen with your X/Y scaling in slot 5?
    Ron
  • robjos1robjos1 Member, Backers
    No I think I may have stretched the stl file messing around in cw, I've been getting reasonable geometry with test cubes etc
    Here are some prints of a ring modified from one of my custom jobs. Printed in slot 2 ~ 40 um XY and 50 um Z with B9 Red/Cherry 2:1 mix resin.

This photo set actually has a good example of how supports are vital in keeping the shape of the print intact. One ring has a row of supports over a large overhang while another only has a single support at the initial overhang and nowhere else. You can see the deformed edge where the supports were missing.

Ron
    Print of a two-part Sherman V tank model. Printed at its default size which is about the size of a US quarter coin.

Printer Details:
    - Slot 2 (40 micron XY)
    - 50 micron Z. 
    - Printed vertically on end with supports. 
    - B9C Red/Cherry 2:1 mix

I might try to cast it in bronze to see how it turns out!

Ron
  • ThijsThijs Member, Backers
    Looks great! Was it just for fun?
    Yeah, my son likes to make up mock battles, like playing with army men. He makes his tanks out of Lego bricks though. ;-)
    Ron
This discussion has been closed.