Carbon 3D Interview

GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
This is the way things will go eventually, once all the relevant patents expire we'll see this type of thing make it's way into desktop systems.  What do you guys think?

Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I think if they can just create a material that the resin won't bond to, or at least engineer a resin where it doesn't bond to a particular surface type, you can create something similar without encroaching on their patents.

I wonder if you can just get away with an air pump underneath the film, kind of like the flex vat if you have like a 1/32" or a mm between the plate and the film, can you put enough atmospheric oxygen into the film to resist the cured resin? The standard FEP film is oxygen permeable, but not to the same degree as Teflon AF.

Can you compensate by injecting pure oxygen into the air gap?

The software could easily accommodate this. Slice for the thinnest layer possible, like 1 micron. Step plate at 1 micron steps (if possible) and then display new image every ? milliseconds. There will be layers, but they will be very very small.

Fun to think of, difficult to implement. 
    :))
    Ron
  • sjensensjensen Member, Backers
    Looks interesting. Some people are building top-down dlp printers which gets around the need for clip technology. What are the dis-advantages of this method?

I'd be interested to see if this would allow places like shapeways to offer high quality parts at a lower price? 
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    This guy in Australia is the top-down printer everyone talked about after the Carbon 3D announcement. http://www.gizmo3dprinters.com.au/

Top-down printers require a vat the size of the maximum print height. That means you need a lot more resin in the vat at any given time and if it is a big print area, you could have a liter of expensive resin out of the bottle and at the mercy of the environment (light, dust, etc.)

I wonder how displacement is handled? If the amount of cured resin is the same as the amount displaced, then I guess the top of the resin is at the same location all the time. I also think calibrating it is harder because you need to have the plate at the right height with the resin to create the layer thickness. The light is beaming in from above. Maybe there is some method where the air interface at the top of the resin prevents curing, so it actually cures just below the surface? Dunno...

Ron