What are you printing?

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
Okay, time to just open a running thread on what people are printing.

If you can, drop everyone a note about what you have been doing with your Draken and how it has been working for you! Photos are always appreciated! :-D

Ron

Comments

• Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    I've been printing tons of small scale model parts with my Draken. The vats made with all-clear acrylic pieces have a more durable and better FEP layer than the older orange vats. I'm printing details that are incredibly small and fragile with hardly any problems. With my pigmented FTD Deep Black mixture, I print 25 microns slices in 3.5 to 4 seconds at 50XY. I still wish I had better optics and a better projector, but my Viewsonic has been very reliable and consistent.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited August 2016
    I hear ya on the optics of the standard projectors @Joseph_Osborn. At least with the ViewSonic, you have a more powerful light output which would cure resins a little faster than the Acer. Can you share any prints you've done recently?

I am still using the Vivitek and after making a 3 mm lens length adjustment, can get away with only a single close up lens. I've been able to print full area models without issues using the beta flex vat. I am using PFA film instead of FEP and it seems to be holding up to the abuse.

------------------------------

All prints done at 33 XY and 50 Z on the beta flex vat, using 3Dfacture green castable resin.

Ron
    Another set of prints with the 3Dfacture green castable resin. School logo pin models to be cast in silver and then enameled.

Ron
  • b33nineb33nine Member, Backers
    Damn, those look great (really all the green ones are looking amazing). Was just wondering the other day what the status of the 3dfacture resins were. How do the under-sides fare? I've been dealing with a lot of muddiness on the projector facing side of my prints that I can't seem to sort out, wondering if it's a resin issue.
    I only had a side shot, but it isn't really a good representation.

The bottom is pretty smooth since I didn't have any places where the resin could accumulate and get cured past the current layer.

I think the resin does influence it. Exposure time and UV penetration into the previous layer do have influences on the quality. If the exposure time will impact layers beyond the current one, it will cause overcure of resin runoff from earlier layers.

Does having the resin in the tank at a higher level or lower level have an impact on quality? Does keeping the print surrounded by resin have better results than just a thin enough layer for that particular layer height? 

Do you need a longer pull from the tank to help with draining? I am using tilt plus a 1 mm lift on these prints.

Lots of variables to deal with, difficult enough when focusing on one resin, but to be able to use many different types? ;-)
    Ron
    b33nine said:

Damn, those look great (really all the green ones are looking amazing). Was just wondering the other day what the status of the 3dfacture resins were. How do the under-sides fare? I've been dealing with a lot of muddiness on the projector facing side of my prints that I can't seem to sort out, wondering if it's a resin issue.

You are having muddiness on the sides facing the projector? Normally, the muddiness appears on the surfaces facing away from projector; i.e., the parts of the model that get multiple doses of UV as the layers are built. I've added additional pigment to my resin to prevent uv from penetrating too deeply into the print and softening details on the sides facing away from the projector.

Normally, the muddiness appears on the surfaces facing away from projector; i.e., the parts of the model that get multiple doses of UV as the layers are built.

Sorry, you're correct, it's essentially the side with the supports. I'm experimenting with adding pigment to the makerjuice SF (I can't seem to get the ftd resins to behave for me at all in comparison to the MJ resin), but so far it is still muddier than I'd prefer on those sides.

@Rkundla I'll give the higher lift/less resin in the vat technique a go soon, see if that helps at all.
    Another thought is to tilt the print a little bit to create a slope where the excess resin can drain off the flat surface.
    Ron
    Mostly go in spurts of printing lots of stuff to not needing to print for awhile, but these all came off my printer last week/this week. Using makerjuice SF red with added pigment to try to alleviate muddiness on the support faces. I think it's helped quite a bit on these particular prints.

All of them at 50 micron layer height, 72x72 resolution in the xy. 8 base layers at 32000 ms, normal layers 9500 ms. I do have to hug the right side of the vat though as the left side doesn't get as much light exposure.

Great job @b33nine!
    Those prints look great! :-D
    Ron
    Thanks guys!
    3DFacture Green Resin print and cast fest August 2016

Heavy class ring style and large thin walled example from a prospective customer (I am recycling all of these castings since they don't belong to me)

The big flask burnout test (3 1/2" d x 3" h) with my designs

I threw in a Waxcast model and it cast okay, but not as good as the green.

I dip my models in Clean-X Invisible Shield protectant, which helps prevent investment breakdown from any uncured resin left in the model. There was some negative feature fill in, but I think that is when very fine features break down due to metal turbulence or other damage like shock, etc.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the results!
    Ron
    Here is one of the finished half-eternity bands with CZs:

Here is a new model for a elongated tourmaline. I will try to cast it this weekend.

Ron
    Some more casting with the 3DFacture green. This one actually had the best looking surface yet. The metal was not heavily oxidized like some of the other castings. My Plasticast investment set up a lot faster than before with the warmer weather.

Just out of the investment and ultrasonic:

Just out of the pickle:

Ron
    Anyone still using their Draken besides Ron and myself?? Every few days, I'll print several jobs and my success rate is almost perfect. Usually if there's a problem, I can fault my orientation or supports. The nonstick layer on the newer clear vats is virtually bullet-proof-- I have printed tons of models on this vat and it shows very little wear. My Draken has really been a great investment.
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    @Joseph,  thanks for the nice comments.  Hope everyone is enjoy the printing.
    We are finishing the Fixer3d project and is working on two other projects, including a light engine project and a another electronics related project.
    Meanwhile, we are cleaning up the last group of Draken units in stock to get funds for the new R&D.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to make good and quick clearance sales, please let us know.
    :)
    I wonder how much it would cost to inject some advertising on the 3D printing news sites? That could be a place to advertise a sale.
    Ron
    "Anyone still using their Draken besides Ron and myself??"

Yes! Somewhat infrequently but I'm definitely still using mine regularly. I intend to get a whole lot more mileage out of mine as well.
    Anyone
    still using their Draken besides Ron and myself?? - See more at:
    http://3dfacture.com/help/index.php?p=/discussion/392/what-are-you-printing#latest
    Anyone
    http://3dfacture.com/help/index.php?p=/discussion/392/what-are-you-printing#latest
    Anyone
    Anyone
    Anyone
    Anyone
    Anyone
    http://3dfacture.com/help/index.php?p=/discussion/392/what-are-you-printing#latest"
    Anyone