Castable resins

Hello,
i have been using my Draken with great success with the B9 Yellow resin from B9 creators.

This resin gives good result for the casting process of jewelry.

I was wondering if some of you is using a different resin less expensive that is also castable with your draken. 

Regards

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I've had good luck with the B9 red/cherry, but that is the same price as the yellow when you buy them both to mix. I have yellow, but was having problems getting it to cure properly, so I put it aside.

I tried using the Maker Juice Waxcast, it printed well, but I could not get good quality out of it using Plasticast for sterling silver. It is the least expensive resin that I know of.

I right now use the 3DFacture green castable resin. To get the best quality I seal the prints since I cannot UV cure them too long or they crack.
    Ron
  • bryanbryan Member, Backers
    How do you seal them?
    There are two methods I've tried to repel the wet investment from the printed model.

One is to dissolve beeswax in xylene or naptha. You would dip the models 2-4 times, blowing off the residue and letting dry between each dip. A single dip coating is pretty thin, but the more you do it, the more likely you will fill in fine detail if you aren't vigilant.

The other is to use a product called Clean-X Invisible Shield, which is chemically the same I am told as Rain-X. You dip twice, blowing off the residue and letting dry. It does not accumulate like a wax and I didn't see any issues with fine detail.

Dipping the whole casting tree is easiest and you don't have to worry about fingerprints or other surface issues like if you dip the model first, then tree it. The first technique does require a larger container and more liquid than the second dipping technique.
    Ron
  • bryanbryan Member, Backers
    You are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you :)
    Glad to help. :-D
    Ron
  • nicolasnicolas Member, Backers
    Hello,
    thanks for the information, i have nor notived about the 3dfacture castable resin. Is there a newsletter i am missing to be informed about this kind of news ?
    edited December 2016
    @nicolas 

it was posted in the announcements on the forum and can be found in their e-commerce shop.

Ron
    ok, so there is no newsletter ?
    i produce to sell with the draken and to be honest come on the forum when i have trouble only.

It would be nice if Andrew and the crew could do a newsletter. 

I wonder if there is some feature of the forum that would allow for a top topics of the month kind of thing? If that could be automated, it could at least let people know what is happening on a periodic basis...
    Ron
    Hello,
    yes it would be great, i personnally use automatic newsletter for my site and list, every 3/4 weeks, if i have published 5 articles, an automatic email is send to my list. No assle, it's all automatic i don't even have to think about it.
    if the site is wordpress, pretty sure there is a extension for that.
    otherwise, the cost of paid newsletter is very cheap.
    I'll check with @Andrew_3Dfacture and see if there is a plug-in to Vanilla we can use. I saw a post on the Vanilla blog that you can use RSS with a mailer like MailChimp to do something like a weekly digest to all subscribers.
    Ron