Color Wheel Removal Video

GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
edited November 2016 in General Discussion
Hey everyone, it's been a while.  But I went ahead and modified my projector so that the color is no longer in place.  This should increase cure times by about 10%.  I haven't been able to test any prints on it yet but I will post those results when I am done.  I learned some lessons along the way so if you want to make modifying your projector easy I would highly suggest you watch this video first.

-Gravelle
Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    Took the chance eh? I was wondering how much the color wheel impacted the cure time. Nice job with the video!

In my Vivitek, I was able to remove the glass filter from the front of the projector lamp housing and saw a significant reduction in cure time using my B9 resin. For the 3DFacture green, it was too much UV and would have a lot of overcure, so I put the filter back on it.
    Ron
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Nice post!   We used to just cut off the acrylic piece of the color wheel, which is not as good as just place it elsewhere.
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    I thought about doing that too but figured I would try and keep the color wheel somewhat intact in case I won't to reinstall it for some reason.  My project for next week is going to be cleaning my project optics so I can run a test print without the color wheel.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    I have completed the follow up to my color wheel removal video showing how to get into the optics and clean them and plenty of things not to do along the way.  My Draken is printing like a champ again :))).  It is a long video on purpose to try and provide as much information as possible.  Not the greatest videography but then again I am an engineer by trade.  Hope this helps anyone that's trying to squeeze a little more performance out of their printer. If you take nothing else out of the video other than this: "DON'T USE DUST OFF!"

-Gravelle

• Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    Great video! Have you thought about doing a shift modification on the lens assembly to try to get more evenly distributed UV and focus? I think there is a topic on the Build Your Own SLA forum detailing the procedure.
    I've been brainstorming a process of creating the mask for the projection to evenly distribute the UV light but haven't done much yet to bring it to life.  I'm curious how you can evening distribute the light by modifying the lens assembly.  Do you have a link to the build your own SLA discussion?

-Gravelle
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    http://www.buildyourownsla.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1400&start=10

I think using a better projector from Optoma or Vivitek is ultimately the best solution to the problems with the cheaper Acer and Viewsonic.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    The optics of the projector can be shifted slightly to put the light path in the sweet spot of the lens assembly for printing purposes.

For video projection on the wall, uneven distribution by a few percentage points wouldn't impact your viewing too much.

The Vivitek I have has better light distribution, but I still have problems trying to fill the plate with objects, which could be total light energy issues or something else.
    Ron