Gravelle's Prints and Projects

2»

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited August 30
    Good video Gravelle! 

The one thing I am not sure about is if near UV output tracks 1:1 against the sensitivity region of the photoresistor, but I don't think there is any reason to worry since you can adjust the exposure to compensate for it. It would be nice if you can get a photoresistor tuned for that region.

Do you have links to your paper sampling mask so I can print one myself? I am going to try this out with my Draken once I get my photocell and see how it works.
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    Yeah not a problem.... if anyone that hasn't done the UV pass filter mod yet and ordered the filter you could measure the light distribution using an unmodified projection and again with a modified projector to see if the light distribution profile is different.

Here is the photoresistor matrix sheet: 

-Gravelle
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    Some more videos will be coming out in the next couple of weeks... as a precursor though, I've learned a number of things, some of them the hard way haha.  Just remember, if you're going to refurbish the PDMS for a vat, don't use silicone sealant anywhere on the inside of the vat, it inhibits the cross linking reaction in the PDMS.  That was the unpleasant lesson I had the privilege of learning the hard way earlier today.

-Gravelle 
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    No better teacher than experience. After replacing the PDMS, will you put down another FEP sheet? If so, what kind will you use? I have used Muve3D’s adhesive FEP to re-line a vat before, but that was a pain in the rear. I’ve also been able to remove the original FEP from a vat and put it back down in place with no apparent ill effect, so I think I’ll try using a non-adhesive FEP sheet the next time.
    Not just silicone sealant, but any residual PDMS in the vat will cause the area around that residue to not fully cure.

My worry about using non-adhesive FEP is that the pull forces of the resin to the FEP may be stronger than the cling forces of the film to the PDMS. Or are you planning to bed the film in the FEP, if it is even possible.
    Ron
    In my experience FEP sticks reasonably well  to PDMS without adhesive.  The FEP I have is from FlexVat because they sell the Dupont FEP in smaller quantities (to get it straight from a supplier requires an order of several hundred dollars).  Its very clear and tough from the little I've used it so far.  I plan to do somewhat of a heat bond to get it to adhere and I'll use a piece of FEP that is only slightly smaller than the vat.  So the separation forces of the FEP should significantly exceed the separation forces of the build platform and thus keep it adhered.

Also another lesson learned haha.  Don't try and get the FEP to adhere to the PDMS while its still curing.  The curing reaction releases gases that collect under the FEP as bubbles... ask me how I know this :/

-Gravelle
    The next video is up.  This one took a while to finish mostly due to my crazy work schedule.  Hopefully this helps anyone that's wanting to replace the PDMS on their vats!!!  I tried to cover as much as possible in a reasonable amount of time. Let me know if I was going to fast to follow in the video.  The vat works great and I never needed adhesive backed FEP film.

-Gravelle
    Another good training video on how to re-do your PDMS in the vat. I will have to try the static cling version of FEP the next time I revitalize my vat.

I've moved away from the flex vat due to some issues I was having with release and first layer consistency. I may come back to it again, but my 3Dfacture orange vat has been working like a champ.
    Ron
    edited October 21
    Thanks ron, I will post up if I have any issues with the way I have done things.  I did a long print of about 30 hours earlier this week and posted a timelapse to my channel today.  Here it is:

Print settings:
    XY Res: 84um
    Z Res: 50um
    128mb STL file
    15s exposure
    slow peel with a 3sec pause about 20% of the way down
    Autodesk Magenta Resin

No issues with the refurbished vat, it worked like a champ!

I've been pretty pleased with this resin, it takes a little longer to cure but it is very stable and gives good definition and print quality.  It's also pretty affordable.  I found out that apparently in addition to Autodesk not selling the ember anymore they also aren't providing resin anymore either.  But a company called Colorado Photopolymer Solutions is selling the same resin (it looks like Autodesk was just sourcing the resin through CPS).  Anyways, I will probably do a review of this resin similar to the clear resin I reviewed earlier this year.

-Gravelle