Thermoformed tank

Hello,
i have some leaking issues on my tank, seems the b9 resin eats the silicon.
it is not a big deal but i was wonderinf if making a tank via thermoformed process would be a solution and economic ?

thanks

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited March 14
    @nicolas which B9 resin are you using? 

In my experience I found it less aggressive chemically than the MakerJuice G+ resin. I find that it will eat into the acrylic more so than the PDMS layer at the bottom.

Ah, I saw in the older thread you are using B9 yellow. Hmm... is that the only resin you used in that tank?

Ron
  • nicolasnicolas Member, Backers
    Hi,
    yes i only use B9 in my tanks.
    the resin eats the silicon join on the corners of the tank, and it leaks, i am looking for a way to impeach the tank to leak, do you have any idea of product ?
    The acrylic tanks are bonded using acrylic cement, so there shouldn't be any silicone in the corners. Maybe your cemented seam has holes in it?

Can you take a picture of the leaky vat and post it? I am very curious to see what it looks like.

Silicone should work, but you would have to make sure the corners cleared of any debris and cleaned before adding more silicone. You can use some of those tools for making caulk joints in bathrooms and kitchens to shape the bead.
    Ron
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    I have one vat where the corner joints were poorly done and there was some kind of clear silicone in the gaps (probably the same silicone as used for the vat coating). The silicone started working itself out of the gaps soon after I started using the vat, and I had to put some more silicone sealant into the corners. The silicone that I put in did not last long when in contact with the resin, probably because there was resin residue on the acrylic that affected the silicone's bond. I haven't had an actual leak from this vat, but I keep a close eye on it whenever I use it.
    Hello here are the pictures, i think i have two leaks, one because the seal start to peel off, and the other one because the seal is gone (it's not very clear on the picture), there is a tiny space between boths walls.

i would have to seal these spaces, what kind of product do you recommand me ? 
    That's exactly what my vat looked like when the original silicone started coming out of the corners.
    Joseph, could you tell me if you have found a product that fits to the vat and impeach leaking ?
    nicolas said:

Joseph, could you tell me if you have found a product that fits to the vat and impeach leaking ?

I tried standard silicone caulk, but the acrylic surface was already exposed to resin, so the caulk was not able to stick very well. I have seen no actual leaks, but I watch it very closely whenever I use it.
    edited March 15
    That is my first view of a clear colorless vat. I only have the orange colored ones...

If you can't get the resin residue off the acrylic, it will be very difficult to get a good bond using silicone.

Bryan's comment is probably the best, but the difficultly is that you may have problem trying to re-cement the seam if it is partly filled. I'd say that you need to cement a piece of acrylic into the corner, like a triangle piece to fill the gap. :-/

Could you take some cement and put some acrylic shavings in it to dissolve, creating a kind of gel that might fill the voids with acrylic material?

Maybe even some crazy glue gel might be usable if it can dissolve the acrylic properly.
    Ron
    Hello,
    i was scratching my head to stop the leaking, so i think i came up with the dumbest idea, i put some B9 resin in the holes, cured it, and voilà, i just made a print and i have no leak now (it was leaking pretty much).
    wait to see how much it will last.

:)

nicolas said:

Hello,

i was scratching my head to stop the leaking, so i think i came up with the dumbest idea, i put some B9 resin in the holes, cured it, and voilà, i just made a print and i have no leak now (it was leaking pretty much).
    wait to see how much it will last.

:)

Brilliant!!

Sometimes the simplest solution is staring you in the face. :-D

Let us know how it holds up!
    Ron
  • bryanbryan Member, Backers
    Nice!
  • AD001AD001 Member, Backers
    edited March 20
    Remember that acrylic is a thermoplastic... so-called plastic welding is very much a thing. Heating a small rod and using it to melt the crack back together is also an option. Before doing so, make sure the area at and near the joint is cleaned with IPA, and that the IPA has dried. Don't expect a melt along the entire depth of the joint here, just enough to seal. Don't breathe the smoky bits that come off- burning plastic is bad mm'kay.

To answer the original question... You could hypothetically thermoform a piece of acrylic into the desired shape, yes. You could potentially do sides/bottom as one piece. In that event, I'm not sure if the thermoforming process might affect the way light passes through the bottom of the vat, especially in the event that it isn't perfectly flat (read "I'm not sure" as: "I don't know if [...]" and not "I am presenting a negative opinion that [...]"). You'd then end up with a perfectly sealed hull of a tank. You'd need to glue or otherwise fasten flanges on, though, else you're going to have 'fun' securing your vat down to anything.

You might have a better time thermoforming the sides and flanges and cutting out the top- though you'd have to machine a hard edge to set the clear acrylic plate into, I think.

TL;DR Doable? Yes, probably. Good idea? Maybe! Easy? Nah.