lamp bulb of the projector

nicolasnicolas Member, Backers
Hello,
i have noticed since few month that i have to extend the exposure time of my printer to get the prints right.
i was wondering if this could be caused by the lamp of the projector that is too old now (after only 1 year).
do you have an idea it the lamp can be changed and how often this would be required ?

thanks

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    @nicolas yes after time, the lamp will start to degrade since it is a filament or electrode arc that burns away over time. This does cause you to increase the exposure to get the same amount of cure.

You can check the lamp hours from the projector menu - it is easier to take it out of the printer and project it on a wall to see it easier. I think once you start over 1000 hours, it will start to degrade enough to require replacement.

To find replacement bulb assemblies, check with the maker of the projector to find the best place to buy authentic parts. Third-party replacement may not always meet spec and could cause you issues with inconsistent exposure, etc.
    Ron
  • nicolasnicolas Member, Backers
    ok thanks, i'll check that
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    Another thing to consider is the pigment concentration of the resin you're using. I read on another printer's support forum about the pigment settling in B9 resins. If the pigment is not vigorously redistributed into the resin before pouring the resin into the vat, over time the contentration of pigment that remains in the bottle can increase. More pigment means longer exposure times, and can ultimately lead to resin that fails to cure because it contains too much pigment. I'm not saying that this is necessarily what you are experiencing, but if your lamp hours are still within a reasonable number (in the hundreds), then you might need to look at the resin.
    Hello, i have almost doubled the exposure time and mix well my resin, i think this is the lamp, i am going to change it to be sure.
    i found alo this video tutorail about removing a mask to improve the projector efficiency.
    does anyone has tried this 

• GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    Yeah I tried that modification, works great ;)

-Gravelle
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    ok thanks for this @Gravelle

Another thing to consider is the pigment concentration of the resin you're using. I read on another printer's support forum about the pigment settling in B9 resins. If the pigment is not vigorously redistributed into the resin before pouring the resin into the vat, over time the contentration of pigment that remains in the bottle can increase. 

I had this happen with my bottle of B9 Yellow. It got to the point it took over 60 seconds to get it to solidify. I had to throw it out and get a new bottle of resin.

A good recommendation was to get some large nuts or bolts and put them in the plastic resin bottle. Any time you draw from the original bottle, shake it up really well to redistribute all of the components inside the resin.
    Ron
    Gravelle said:

-Gravelle
    Isn't that your video? :D
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    rkundla said:

Gravelle said:

-Gravelle
    Isn't that your video? :D
    I was curious if anyone would catch on to my own trumpet blowing.  It's nice to know my content is making its rounds on the internet.

-Gravelle
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    sure it helps