POLL: Viewsonic projector users and the M605-M606 commands

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
edited May 25 in General Discussion
I would like to know for those of you with a Draken using the Viewsonic PJD7820HD projector, have you actually been able to use the M605 or M606 commands with your projector using the factory firmware? That is, the firmware that shipped with the Draken originally and not any of my modified versions?

I have not heard one success story and it would be very helpful for me to hear from all of you.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron

Comments

• Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Tried on two different Viewsonic projectors and no success.
  • AD001AD001 Member, Backers
    edited May 26
    I have the 7822HDL, which is effectively the same thing, and was unable to use any projector communication commands until I played with modified firmware.

Edit: I've tried this on two such projectors, since a friend also has one.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    AD001 said:

I have the 7822HDL, which is effectively the same thing, and was unable to use any projector communication commands until I played with modified firmware.

Edit: I've tried this on two such projectors, since a friend also has one.
    So you have it working, but needed to modify the firmware yourself, or it was my modified firmware that works using the P1 parameter?
    Ron
  • AD001AD001 Member, Backers
    Yours with a tweak or two that I didn't document. I believe the P1 is what is being used for the M command in question. It worked with little to no fiddling, I think my changes were just me dicking around.
    I sent Andrew my null modem adapter to try it on their printer to see if the Viewsonic will work with my latest firmware.
    Ron
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Tested with Ron's null modem adapter - Viewsonic still doesn't work
    I have no idea what is going on with that configuration then. :-\

Without having a projector of my own to experiment with, I will have to leave Viewsonic support to someone else.
    Ron
    I've done some testing with a Viewsonic projector on loan to me and have a work around I'd like people to try.

This assumes the blue serial cable is connected to the Draken and your Viewsonic PJD7820HD projector and you are using my latest firmware from my thread about easier firmware updates.

1) Turn off your Draken at the power switch and unplug the USB cable.
    2) Wait 5 seconds, then plug the USB cable back into the Draken.
    3) Wait 10-15 seconds, then turn on the power switch on the Draken.
    4) Connect to the Draken with your PC and CW
    5) Enable manual gcode and enter the "M607 P1" command.
    6) You should get some feedback from the controller
    7) Enter the "M605 P1" command and verify if the projector starts.

This seemed to work for me with my test board. If I left the projector cable connected and the projector in standby mode (not on, but has power), the serial port will not activate. However, if I didn't hook up the projector until after the board loaded, I could control it with my firmware.

Please post your test results!

Thanks,
    Ron

Ron
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    Okay, doing the steps above, in order, does not work with my machine. So I shut everything down and unplugged the blue cable from the Draken board. Then, did all the steps again, but after step 6, I plugged the blue cable back into the Draken controller, and then issued the power on command-- and the projector came on. M606 P1 shut it off.
    Interesting Joseph. You powered up the printer first, then connected the USB cable? 

From what I have seen, if you power on the printer, the controller board will get powered up from the supply in the Draken, not from the PC. I wonder if that might have something to do with it? All of my tests were a stand alone controller board without the printer power supply contributing.

Something about the Viewsonic serial port interacting with the RS232 chip on the controller during board startup is what I thought I narrowed it down to, but your comment throws some of what I think out the window.

Ron
    edited June 27
    rkundla said:

Interesting Joseph. You powered up the printer first, then connected the USB cable?

No, I followed your specific directions-- steps 1,2,3 in order.

I will try to do some additional testing today.  My projector is not connected to the Draken's power supply-- I have it connected directly to a filtered UPS, so it stays in standby pretty much all the time.  I'll try connecting it to the Draken P/S so that I can see what kind of power-on sequence might work best.
    Okay, so the different you made is that you did not plug the USB back in step 2 but waited until step 6?

Regarding your power config, I don't think the power supply to the projector is the issue, but the power supply in the Draken feeds 12V to the controller board to feed the stepper motors. 

I've assumed that the 12V is stepped down to voltages that the CPU and other logic require. I make this assumption because I see the LED light up when the USB is disconnected and the power on the Draken is turned on. If you turn off the Draken power supply and hook up the USB to your computer, it will power the controller board, but the motors won't work.

Without the schematic, I can't really see how the power system of the board is designed to see if there is any issue.

Ron
    No, not USB-- the blue RS232 cable between the projector and control board. I did a lot of monkeying around and found that once I establish that serial connection properly, it stays active even if I turn off the Draken and shut down CW. I just start them back up and the connection is still there. The only thing that breaks the connection is unplugging the USB link between the board and the PC or powering off the PC. Then I have to unplug the blue cable until I issue the M907 command. I ran a print job with projector commands inserted into the profile and it worked smoothly to power on and power off the projector at the right times.
    Okay, I see now.

The trigger I saw was that if the projector was connected to the control board and the controller was not powered, it would not work. If I pulled power from the projector, or in your case, disconnect the blue serial cable, and turn on the control board, it would work.

From my reading online, some of these RS232 transceivers can latch up if there are certain inputs from the device connected to it relative to the settings on the input side. It might be a deal with pull up or pull down resistors, or the need for more bulk capacitance of the power supply to the transceiver. Needless to say, the Viewsonic seems to be the only projector of the three I've tried that cause this to happen.

Hopefully Andrew is looking into this as well to see if they can figure out what might be happening.

Ron
    Honestly, with the way that DLP-based printers are evolving and the rapid emergence of LCD printers, this issue with the serial port on the Viewsonic really isn't a problem that anyone should spend a whole lot of effort on solving. Thanks for what you've done-- I now have a simple and reliable workaround for getting the projector to turn off at the end of a long job. That was really my only requirement. Now I can start a job and not have to think about going back to the printer later to turn off the projector.