Grayscale Generator Ver 1.0 Released

GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
Good Day everyone, you may or may not remember that back in January I said I was working on a Grayscale Mask Generator program so that we could create custom masks to even out the light distribution on our Drakens.  Well I am pleased to announce that the first version of this software is open for download and use.  You can go here to get a GitHub download link: https://www.patreon.com/GarageScience 

I've tried to test this as much as possible to eliminate any bugs but just in case you find any just let me know and I'll work to fix it.  This program requires that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed.  If you don't already have this installed you can go here to: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

I created a couple of Youtube tutorial videos to help get you running with the software: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqQbaCz5Ujesh4KnZBl-uoe525uGNz6GF

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

-Gravelle

Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.

Comments

• Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    May I ask if this actually works to improve UV distribution across the build area with the Acer or Viewsonic projectors?  Do you have any before and after examples showing the results of using a mask generated with this program?

• GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    Actually as bad as this sounds I actually haven't had the time to get a mask done for my printer.  Now that the software is finished my next step is to do the Lamp UV filter removal mod and then make a grayscale mask for my printer.  I basically wanted to get the software out there because I had people asking when it would be released.  There will be more videos to come about setting up your printer with a grayscale and before and afters.  I'm pulling 70+ hr work weeks so my free time is nearly non-existent.

-Gravelle
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Nice work, Gravelle!
    Don't we need to measure the UV light intensity and then change it in the CW software?
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    My take is that it is more of a greyscale generator using empirical observation of a test run than direct light measurement or attempting to make a mask using a picture of the light output.

I think you need to run it a couple of times to dial in the settings, so it will take some more time to get the desired result.

Now we just need to find an inexpensive measurement tool that will sample in the 405 nm wavelength. ;-)
    Ron
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    So I am working on a procedure to empirically determine the light output from your projector by basically seeing at what exposure time it fails to cure resin.  I think that should provide a pretty good amount of data to work with.  The whole point of the program is that it takes a handful of data points at various points in your build area and interpolates basically a light intensity in between the data so you don't have to go through some crazy procedure of producing an image of your light intensity or use extra measurement tools.  It is still a bit of a work of a work in progress but I think if it gets dialed in it will be really effective.

-Gravelle