Reify 3D's SolusCast on the Draken

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
I received a sample of Reify 3D's SolusCast resin to test with the Draken printer and my casting process.

I used my recent earring model for this test for something familar. I used the same configuration for my B9 Emerald and 3Dfacture Green resin. The results were pretty nice, very crisp detail. The resin finished a little different than the Emerald. It was more brittle and when cut, it fractured into little slivers/flakes of shiny resin.

I then cured it using my Emerald methods and sprued it up for casting.

I burned out the flask using my standard process

1 hr at 300F
2 hrs at 700F
3 hrs at 1350F
1 hr at 900F

ramp rate of 1200F/hr

Here is how it came out

Notice both the positive and negative defects. I am guessing it was expansion that damaged the area around the prongs up front. All that damage ended up becoming negative defects, or there were some other broken off bits somewhere else.

So next time I try it, I will try to reduce the ramp rate to hopefully reduce the expansion to get my detail back. The other side is to increase the length at 1350 in order to burn out more of that ash residue.

Ron

Comments

• rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    edited October 18
    Did an experiment with 4:1 B9 Emerald:SolusCast

Here is a closeup of the 4:1 mix detail (printed at ~30XY and 50Z - no antialias):

I did a casting test with 3Dfacture castable, B9 emerald and the 4:1 mix using Optima investment and their burnout schedule. The results came out well with zero negative defects and decent surface quality. I didn't take any photos but will do another test this weekend.

Regards,
    Ron

Ron
  • Andrew_3DfactureAndrew_3Dfacture Member, Moderator, Backers
    Nice test, Ron!

What's the advantage of having a mix?  To use up some left over materials?
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    @Andrew_3Dfacture it was a test to see if I could impart some of the sharper detail from the SolusCast resin while still getting the benefits of the cleaner burnout of the B9 Emerald.

Since I didn't have a direct comparison of the same part, it was hard to gauge any difference in quality. It did burn out cleanly with that Optima investment and the extended burnout cycle, so that was a plus.

I will have to go back and do some more tests with the 3Dfacture castable and the Optima to see if I have a new recommended method for your datasheet.

Ron