Projector POP!

rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
I was just starting a new print on my Vivitek when a loud POP! happened. Sure enough, the bulb decided to give up the ghost before the first exposure.

I've cleaned out the bulb housing, making sure to get rid of all the small pieces of glass and verifying nothing else broke inside. I'll place an order for a new bulb assembly on Monday and hope I am not out of service for too long. :-P

Anyone else hit end of life on their projector bulb yet?
Ron

Comments

• GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    I still haven't peaked 1k hrs.
    Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
  • Joseph_OsbornJoseph_Osborn Member, Backers
    I’m hoping my bulb dies a slow death. I have a spare on hand, so when the day comes I hope it’s just a matter of pulling out the old and popping in the new.
  • rkundlarkundla Member, Moderator, Backers, Ultimate Backer
    I bought one on Amazon and it arrived today. Hard to tell how much of a knock-off it is. I noticed the bulb housings are not exactly identical. It is the part number supposedly for my DH913 but I dunno...

It is running in the projector right now. I better check on it to make sure it doesn't melt my projector. :-o
    Ron
    It didn't melt but is sure gives off some chemical smell.

I did disassemble the old bulb housing and see how to install a new bulb, so maybe I will buy just the bulb next and replace it that way. :D
    Ron
    I decided to check the bulb type because I was still a little skeptical. Sure enough, it does appear to be a genuine OSRAM bulb, but it is the wrong reflector size (a size smaller). <sigh>

Return set up with Amazon and a bare properly sized bulb has been ordered. 
    Ron
    rkundla said:

I decided to check the bulb type because I was still a little skeptical. Sure enough, it does appear to be a genuine OSRAM bulb, but it is the wrong reflector size (a size smaller). <sigh>

Return set up with Amazon and a bare properly sized bulb has been ordered. 
    Did the small-reflector bulb work to cure resin, or was it unable to cure resin?
    It did cure resin, but I noticed my uniformity was worse than before because I tried to print a full plate of rings.

Maybe it made the center 'hotter' due to the smaller diameter of the reflector mouth?
    Ron
    I’ve noticed as my projector bulb has gotten higher in hours, the uniformity across the build area has actually gotten better. I’ve never been able to get a mask to work properly, but I’ve always had luck using pigments to control exposure.
  • GravelleGravelle Member, Backers
    Have you tried the grayscale generator I made?

Check out my Youtube channel Garage Science for videos and tutorials about printing with the Draken.
    Not yet! 

I have to source that diode still. I was just going to search your thread to find out which one to buy so I could put in an order this weekend.
    Ron
    The right bulb certainly makes a difference...

After ordering a new bulb and installing it last night, I gave it a test with the 3Dfacture castable green using the last settings when the bulb went out as well as that incorrect bulb. It was "overcure city"! Flashing everywhere and every peel was a chore.

I had to cut my exposure time in half to keep it from constantly snapping off the vat. We'll see how it turns out in an hour. :-P
    Ron
    Cutting exposure didn't help, so I had to put the original UV filter back into the projector to deal with the overcure. I was able to expose my full small sized build plate at 5 seconds per layer which was nice.

My photoresistors are supposed to arrive today, so I am looking forward to using Gravelle's tool to generate my custom lighting mask and see how that works this weekend.
    Ron